RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

VHS format officially done
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marching to Mars
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: VHS format officially done Reply with quote

VHS, 30, dies of loneliness
The home-entertainment format lived a fruitful life
By DIANE GARRETT

VHS RIP
After a long illness, the groundbreaking home-entertainment format VHS has died of natural causes in the United States. The format was 30 years old.

No services are planned.

The format had been expected to survive until January, but high-def formats and next-generation vidgame consoles hastened its final decline.

"It's pretty much over," concurred Buena Vista Home Entertainment general manager North America Lori MacPherson on Tuesday.

VHS is survived by a child, DVD, and by Tivo, VOD and DirecTV. It was preceded in death by Betamax, Divx, mini-discs and laserdiscs.

Although it had been ailing, the format's death became official in this, the video biz's all-important fourth quarter. Retailers decided to pull the plug, saying there was no longer shelf space.

As a tribute to the late, great VHS, Toys 'R' Us will continue to carry a few titles like "Barney," and some dollar video chains will still handle cassettes for those who cannot deal with the death of the format.

Born Vertical Helical Scan to parent JVC of Japan, the tape had a difficult childhood as it was forced to compete with Sony's Betamax format.

After its youthful Betamax battles, the longer-playing VHS tapes eventually became the format of choice for millions of consumers. VHS enjoyed a lucrative career, transforming the way people watched movies and changing the economics of the film biz. VHS hit its peak with "The Lion King," which sold more than 30 million vidcassettes Stateside.

The format flourished until DVDs launched in 1997. After a fruitful career, VHS tapes started to retire from center stage in 2003 when DVDs became more popular for the first time.

Since their retirement, VHS tapes have made occasional appearances in children's entertainment and as a format for collectors seeking titles not released on DVD. VHS continued to make as much as $300 million a year until this year, when studios stopped manufacturing the tapes.

KT Kore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And good riddance. VHS tapes are something I'll never miss. You can only screw up so many tapes by simply rewinding them before you want to tear your hair out. I think DVDs are a perfect medium and I can see myself using them for the rest of my life really. Aside from upgrades to the same disc format, like Blu-ray and the like, I don't see any need for anything else.

idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here VCRs and VHS recordable tapes are still widely available, so I don't particularly see them quite dying out in the UK for a little while. I still use the video for recording the odd program due to the fact that I haven't quite got around to being able to afford a dvd recorder nor a bunch of dvdr's yet. But yeah I agree with the problem of tape rewinding. I had a favourite film recorded from tv and due to the many times that it was rewound it eventually became unwatchable. Also with many of the Disney and such movies like the very old ones being rereleased on dvd the quality is much better with a sharper picture and they remain that way. Same thing is happening though with singles, where it's getting harder to find them and with casette tapes they are almost impossible to find. Mind you weren't records and record players supposed to have been dying out, but they are still very much available.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
SpiderBraids
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here, VHS is being marginalized in favor of DVD recorders as well, but it's been slower to catch on over here.

At least the audio cassette isn't exactly dead yet... I mean, it's easier to record to audio tape than a CD yes?

Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad we finally decided to get a DVD player. Ugh VHS was so annoying at least we don't have to worry about if we rewound a DVD cause we just have to go back to main menu or scene select. OF course we still have the VHS but almost everything we buy is on DVD.
Marching to Mars
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT Kore wrote:
And good riddance. VHS tapes are something I'll never miss. You can only screw up so many tapes by simply rewinding them before you want to tear your hair out. I think DVDs are a perfect medium and I can see myself using them for the rest of my life really. Aside from upgrades to the same disc format, like Blu-ray and the like, I don't see any need for anything else.

I hear you, VHS tapes when you think about it were just as dumb as cassete tapes. Those were the worst, made listening to music a nightmare. Rewind. Stop. Rewind. Stop, it never ended...

idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marching to Mars wrote:
Rewind. Stop. Rewind. Stop, it never ended...

Yep exactly. With a dvd you go to the scene selection and choose the scene you want to see easily and quickly without having to go through the process of trying to find it and then missing the wanted bit because you rewound or forwarded it slightly too far.

has anyone seen any rental dvds where it states please rewind after use Confused Pfff! You also don't have to worry about recording over that most loved program or film that you were so desperately saving and in somecases haven't got around to watching yet. How many times has that happened and you've almost been guilty of murder or manslaughter to that particular family member Feu Pleure?

You will however have those such as your parents/grand parents who will struggle to figure out the workings of the newer technology "how do I work that?" "what happens if I press that button" "Uh I might mess it up or break it" "it's too complicated to figure out!" my mum is a good example of the last statement!

The board waffler!!
Tom
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Ah yes, my mum almost ripped the DVD drive out the other day when I asked her to eject the disc.

Whoever this Diane Garrett is, if her article were any more sarcastic I think I might just die from laughter. huh

"Oh, that'd be reason enough for me!"
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty much surprised to see that VHS still existed in the States this year; down here, in Mexico, we haven't had any new release on VHS for at least five years!

The only uses that format has here are basically two: for personal recording of TV shows at home, or for recording medical data (i.e. ultrasounds or other image-generating studies). But we already have DVD recorders here, so I guess it's just a matter of time before they get inexpensive enough to put to rest the old magnetic tape for good.

So, yeah, rest in peace, VHS! We won't miss you! Tire la langue
bearbear
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, DVDs are easier and cheaper to pirate Cool

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I thought that Videos were eisier to record from/to or maybe not and dvds are protected. just shows what I know!

The board waffler!!
jarjar23
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about a year now (cause I don't do it often), I've been taking everythin I ever recorded on a VHS tape and converting it into DVD format, then chucking the tapes. I've been using a DVD Recorder to record stuff off TV for a year.

Lol @ them coming out with DVD HD. How clear can they get the picture, anyway!? I'll be waiting for the DVD HD2 to come out in 2010 before I upgrade again. Clin d'oeil
Tom
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's UHDV, actually Clin d'oeil

jarjar23
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Whatever.... Ah, wiki. Where'd we be without you?
bearbear
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHS doesn't degrade over time, but DVD does. So DVDs will all eventually stop working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: