NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Quote: "EARTH: WE'RE WIDE OPEN TO ALIEN ATTACK"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Quote: "EARTH: WE'RE WIDE OPEN TO ALIEN ATTACK" Reply with quote

Quote:
10 November 2006
EARTH: WE'RE WIDE OPEN TO ALIEN ATTACK
UFO expert wants probes into sightings
By Lucy Thornton

THE Earth is wide open to an alien attack, a Government expert warned yesterday.

Former MoD chief Nick Pope said officials are not doing enough to probe UFO sightings leaving us vulnerable to an extra-terrestrial invasion.

Nick Pope, who ran the Ministry's UFO project from 1991 to 1994, said: "The consequences of getting this one wrong could be huge. Frankly we're wide open."

He said there has been a number of "highly credible" sightings and landings of strange metallic aircraft across the UK.

But don't panic, the scientist doesn't think we're on the verge of being over-run by Dr Who-style monsters.

Nick said: "There's no evidence of UFO hostile intent - but it cannot be ruled out in future.

He added: "There has got to be the potential for that and one is left with the uneasy feeling that if it turned out to be so, there is very little we could do about it.

"If you believe these things are extra-terrestrial craft then you cannot rule out that what is happening is some kind of covert reconnaissance."

Reports of UFO sightings include a "vast, triangular-shaped craft" lying over RAF Cosford, West Mids, and RAF Shawbury, Shropshire, in 1993.

But Nick, who quit his job at the MoD's Directorate of Defence Security this week, warned: "If you reported a UFO sighting now, I'm absolutely sure you would just get back a standard letter telling you not to worry.

"If something doesn't behave like a conventional aircraft now, it will be ignored. That's because the X-Files have been closed down."

But an MoD spokeswoman insisted all UFO sightings were investigated for "evidence to suggest that UK airspace has been compromised by hostile or unauthorised air activity".

She said: "Unless there is such evidence, the MoD doesn't attempt to positively identify what was seen."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_headline=earth%2D-we%2Dre-wide-open-to-alien-attack%26method=full%26objectid=18074045%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

So now you know

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
Tom
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What are you waiting for, huh? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!"

Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet "area 51" has something to do with UFO sightings. I don't know if i believe in them or not. I used to not but now I'm not sure what to think but if they are around floating somewhere out there I doubt they will come and attack us.
RR_Raptor65
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! But the aliens should know that if theres one kind of fighting Humans are especially good at, its a guerilla war, which is exactly what would happen if they attacked. Such a war would last hundreds of years, or as long as the aliens can keep up a military force on Earth.

Unless they have the technolagy to see through walls into buildings or something similar, it would quickly become hell on Earth for those aliens.

Click here to see a list of all my currently released Dinosaur models
tommy_baby
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it does happen, we will fight to the end. Grim sentence, but true.

Recovering n00b. Seriously, what was I on in 2006-8?
superyo
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how can someone think we are ready to fight someone we don't enve know... huh

Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like I said above, unless they can see through walls/objects, no amount of technolagy would be able to protect them from the human ingenuity and ability to wage a guerilla war.

Millions of people WILL die, but us, as a species will survive.

The only way I can see us being completly wiped out is if the aliens can destabilize our atmosphere, or simply blow up the earth, both are unlikely. I doubt an alien race would come all the way to Earth to blow off our atmosphere or turn our planet into cosmic dust unless they were retaliating for something, and we can't even start a war with them yet with our level of technolagy.

jadeflower82
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something from the works of Douglas Adams' 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', one of my fave sci-fi parody novels.

Let's just hope--if an alien species decides to finish us off, it doesn't involve mind destroying peotry, like that of the Vogons in the Adams books. That would probably be more terror than any form of warfare that could ever be encountered.

Quote:
The only way I can see us being completly wiped out is if the aliens can destabilize our atmosphere, or simply blow up the earth, both are unlikely. I doubt an alien race would come all the way to Earth to blow off our atmosphere or turn our planet into cosmic dust unless they were retaliating for something, and we can't even start a war with them yet with our level of technology.

Um...I'm not really sure technology on our part is all that advanced--yet. We have still yet to be able to create a vehicle that could withstand faster than lightyear speed of travel, create weapons that could decimate in the same sense as laser guns in the sci-fi followings (ya know, a handheld gun that--instead of shooting off shells of a sort--shoots concentrated rays of light that decimate all in their path? such would probably require a massive battery cell that hasn't been created yet), or have claim to actually travelling physically outside our own solar system? Yes, we are fairly advanced, but we've probably got a long way to go when it concern technology anyways.

Not to discredit you, though. I've just read--and watched--too many sci-fi based storlines to think we've reached the height of technological advances. There's still yet a lot to learn for us in that category.

Sorry, I'm a science/astronomy nut. I believe there's life out there, and we'll meet face to face with it--eventually. Just don't know when, or if it hasn't already occured.
~Mara Sophie

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
---Martin Luther King, Jr.
RR_Raptor65
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pretty much said what I meant. The next step in weapons technolagy for us will probably be heat lasers, or possibly even portable Railguns. Both of these have working experimental prototypes. Last I heard, the lasers were going to be mounted in 747s for military use, mostly for knocking down enemy missiles/rockets by burning through to the fuel tank. While Railguns were being tested for use as Naval guns, recoilless anti-tank weapons carried by a soldier, or they would probably be just as good in tanks. The technolagy to scale them down into a weapon that can replace modern firearms is still going to be a long ways away.

Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am wondering is why everyone compares aliens to Americans, they fear something they kill it. If an alien race discovered us, they would likely want to learn from us or help us out. Why would they just want to kill us? Aliens are not Americans
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because, for most people, the majority of preconceptions and ideas about how aliens might look like or behave come from American movies and feature films. Which in turn is natural considering the huge output of commercial TV and movie companies up there.
Cpt_Zim83
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hihey9989 wrote:
If an alien race discovered us, they would likely want to learn from us or help us out.

I stand to be corrected but I think that's the belief of the Church of Sciencoliogy. One branch of the church believe aliens will one day come and teach man just about everything like technology, peace, etc.

While we're on the subject of aliens, many believed that President Ronald Ragan feared aliens. Embarassť

Reasons:

1: Every time he gave a would peace speech he would usally say the following, "If we were attacked today by space aliens we would stop caring about skin color, powers, and borders. We would be united as one."

2: While he was in office he funded the military to build large lasers that could be fired from both the earth, plane, and satilite.
knoodelhed
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hihey9989 wrote:
What I am wondering is why everyone compares aliens to Americans, they fear something they kill it. If an alien race discovered us, they would likely want to learn from us or help us out. Why would they just want to kill us? Aliens are not Americans

H. G. Wells when he wrote War of the Worlds appeared to be working from the theory that any species advanced enough to travel large distances across space would likely do so for conquest, not being able to recognize from their own context any native intelligence or civilization as intelligence or civilization. As an example of "that being the way things work", he cites history recent to him, the taking of Tasmania:

H. G. Wells wrote:
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment.

The planet Mars, I scarcely need remind the reader, revolves about the sun at a mean distance of 140,000,000 miles, and the light and heat it receives from the sun is barely half of that received by this world. It must be, if the nebular hypothesis has any truth, older than our world; and long before this earth ceased to be molten, life upon its surface must have begun its course. The fact that it is scarcely one seventh of the volume of the earth must have accelerated its cooling to the temperature at which life could begin. It has air and water and all that is necessary for the support of animated existence.

Yet so vain is man, and so blinded by his vanity, that no writer, up to the very end of the nineteenth century, expressed any idea that intelligent life might have developed there far, or indeed at all, beyond its earthly level. Nor was it generally understood that since Mars is older than our earth, with scarcely a quarter of the superficial area and remoter from the sun, it necessarily follows that it is not only more distant from time's beginning but nearer its end.

The secular cooling that must someday overtake our planet has already gone far indeed with our neighbour. Its physical condition is still largely a mystery, but we know now that even in its equatorial region the midday temperature barely approaches that of our coldest winter. Its air is much more attenuated than ours, its oceans have shrunk until they cover but a third of its surface, and as its slow seasons change huge snowcaps gather and melt about either pole and periodically inundate its temperate zones. That last stage of exhaustion, which to us is still incredibly remote, has become a present-day problem for the inhabitants of Mars. The immediate pressure of necessity has brightened their intellects, enlarged their powers, and hardened their hearts. And looking across space with instruments, and intelligences such as we have scarcely dreamed of, they see, at its nearest distance only 35,000,000 of miles sunward of them, a morning star of hope, our own warmer planet, green with vegetation and grey with water, with a cloudy atmosphere eloquent of fertility, with glimpses through its drifting cloud wisps of broad stretches of populous country and narrow, navy-crowded seas.

And we men, the creatures who inhabit this earth, must be to them at least as alien and lowly as are the monkeys and lemurs to us. The intellectual side of man already admits that life is an incessant struggle for existence, and it would seem that this too is the belief of the minds upon Mars. Their world is far gone in its cooling and this world is still crowded with life, but crowded only with what they regard as inferior animals. To carry warfare sunward is, indeed, their only escape from the destruction that, generation after generation, creeps upon them.

And before we judge of them too harshly we must remember what ruthless and utter destruction our own species has wrought, not only upon animals, such as the vanished bison and the dodo, but upon its inferior races. The Tasmanians, in spite of their human likeness, were entirely swept out of existence in a war of extermination waged by European immigrants, in the space of fifty years. Are we such apostles of mercy as to complain if the Martians warred in the same spirit?

The rest is http://www.gutenberg.org/files/36/36-h/36-h.htm here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Let's play Devil's advocate, and try to figure out what an alien would need to keep in mind if he were intent on visiting this planet.

First of all, it would have to be a species capable of breathing our air. Earth's athmosphere is a mixture of oxigen, nitrogen, hydrogen, vaporized water and a whole coctel of gases and all kinds of suspended particles, many of them man-made (pollution). You just can't find this same mixture anywhere else in the universe, so if any alien plans to visit this planet, he will first of all things need to be sure he can breathe this particular blend of gases, or else he will have to bring his own air supply and a means to produce it.

Then, we have the issues of gravity. The force of gravity, or the force with which the planet core pulls from everything on the surface, is different in Earth as that in any other planet, because it is determined among other things by the size, or volume, of the rock we call home, and is affected by the gravitational pull of the Sun. This gravitational pull will have definite and certain effects on any visiting alien; if he comes from a smaller planet, like in the works of H.G. Wells, he will find himself in a planet where the force of gravity is stronger than in his own planet. If we keep the proportions mentioned by Wells, and Mars is one seventh the volume of Earth, it means that the force of gravity here will be about SEVEN TIMES that of Mars!!! Thus, if a Martian came visiting, he would be inexorably crushed by our own force of gravity, because his body would not be built to resist such pressure, or at the very least it would be extremely difficult to him to make any movement because it would require seven times as much strenght and energy to, say, raise an arm, and any piece of equipment he brought with him would be seven times heavier here than on Mars.

On the other hand, if an alien came from a planet bigger than ours, he would be immersed in a place where the gravitational pull is not as strong as in his native planet. He would feel pretty much like the Astronauts on the Moon; unable to fully control his own body, because every movement he makes would be extremely inprecise. Things would be lighter to him than in his planet, and it would likely affect the efficiency and precision of his instruments and the way he operates it - he would be just too strong to control them.

And if all this was not enough, we also have the effects of a different gravitational pull on his metabolism: it would affect his blood presure, circulatory system, and cause damage to his internal organs either due to the effects of compression (for those coming from smaller planets) or decompression (for those coming from bigger planets). It is pretty much the same kind of disease that affects deep-sea divers, for example.

Now, assuming our green-skinned visitor solved these issues, we have the next big problem: what will he eat? How does he know if he can survive consumming any of the organic matter that exists on this planet? He would have to know exactly what on Earth is safe for him to eat, or else, again, he would have to bring his own supplies with him. Not practical for any large-scale, long-term operations, as any of our military-savvy friends here could corroborate. The logistics would be immensely difficult given the distances.

Last, but definitely not least, we have a natural defense here that we nevertheless regard as a plague: our own viruses and bacteria. This has happened before; whenever a nev virus or pathogen agent gets in touch with unprotected people, say, by means of travel, it is likely to develop an ephidemy that usually decimates the population until either a cure is found, or the population develops defenses against the pathogen, primarily by means of antigens and antibodies. This is a procedure that takes a lot of time, and is one of the working gears of evolution. Sure, it would also work the other way around - we would not be immune to any pathogens the aliens carried with them; but then again, their pathogens would have to be able to survive in our planet in the first place. In any case, we would be fighting with the same weapons.

So, even if they had a lot of technology, biology and physics pose some serious barriers that IMHO are playing in our favor. These are things classic writers like H.G. Wells didn't take in consideration, and neither do most of those people convinced that aliens are about to launch a full-blown, long-scale invasion on our planet.

Now, let's make a precision here: by this I'm not saying that aliens do not exist or that there isn't life in other places of the universe. The universe is so huge and has so many planets that by sheer probabilistics (sp?) there must be a place somewhere with the requiered variables to sustain life, besides our own planet. It's a mathematical certainty. What I'm trying to say is that even if they are already visiting us (not really sure what to believe here), most likely the logistics of any large-scale invasion of our planet would be too difficult to solve.

[/i]

Last edited by Mike2000 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpt_Zim83 wrote:
...While we're on the subject of aliens, many believed that President Ronald Ragan feared aliens. Embarassť

Reasons:

2: While he was in office he funded the military to build large lasers that could be fired from both the earth, plane, and satilite.

Oh, yeah. I remember this. It was oddly called the Star Wars defense initiative, IIRC.

Many people are fooled by this name (by the way, was it the official name for that program??? Anybody knows???) But let's keep things in context. This program was launched during the height of the Cold War, and was mainly intended to provide a shield of sorts against Russian nuclear warheads launched on missils against the U.S. Using satellites, it was possible to spot such launchings at very early stages, and by means of armored satellites it was planned to make the missiles explode before they had time to gain altitude and reach the U.S. So, as you see, this "Star Wars" initiative was really looking down on Earth, and was meant to protect us from... ourselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: