NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

[AGU!] Why do we hear Susie sing so much?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiderBraids
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: [AGU!] Why do we hear Susie sing so much? Reply with quote

This oldie thread from June '05 was about our gripe with Susie singing in "It's Karma, Dude!" Not because the writers were too lazy to give her new material (she sang a song that was part of another ep in which she missed a singing audition), but because by all means, Angélica should have been performing. Yes, Susie's biggest rival should have been performing, even though Susie should easily have won the part. This thread goes into our gripe with it.

(Gotta love those Rugrats character emoticons... now when are we getting emoticons for other shows?)

====

SpiderBraids: Why do we hear Susie sing so much? It's a letdown, man.

(Actually, that was the title of the thread at Nickdisk, but we've got subject length limits here. The title was meant to parody the thread used to post the Cooltoons news on the episode: "Why do we love AGU episode previews? "It's Karma, Man!" ". Note that it's "Man" instead of "Dude" here.)

(Also, I showed a picture on this page and captioned it thusly: "Susie sings the song she'd sung with Lucy in "Runaround Susie" at a talent show, in "It's Karma, Dude!" Question is: if she didn't even audition for the show, what right does she have to sing here?")

Okay, that's not really my opinion, but some feedback from Luke's board for the ep "It's Karma, Dude!" seems to suggest thusly.

(Jonathan Sario) it would have been nice to see Angelica sing instead of Suzie. I remember hearing Angelica's voice as she was singing towards the shower. It was not that bad. Sure it was not that good either but it doesn't sound like Cheryl Chase's voice is any better or worse than Cree Summer's Also Angelica passed the audition. Sure she may have neglected to tell Suzie about the audition but she did pass the audition fair and square against the other competitors.

Bottom line is why did Suzie sing when she did not audition at all. Angelica worked her butt off and it paid off by getting the spot regardless of Suzie's absence. I mean its not like Angelica's the only one that knew about the audition. Someone else FROM SCHOOL would have been equally capable of telling Suzie about it.

This IMO is an episode where the subplot was WAY more interesting compared to the main plot. There was moral at the end but the devices used weren't played out properly. It could've been a simple case of forgiveness. Angelica sings at the end with Suzie's blessing metaphorically symbolized by the zit. At least that way Suzie wouldn't have sung a recycled song. (She sang the song from "Runaround Susie", appropriately enough since she also missed an audition in that one, although for different reasons - SB)

(HolyAjora) Yeah it was a let down to have Susie sing again. Angelica should have gotten the spot light at least once or maybe she has. There are still some episodes I need to watch. You are definitely right that almost anyone else could have told Susie about the contest. Heck Tommy could have told Susie rather than tell Angelica to do it.

Still here is the interesting part. In both Susie sings the Blues and Run Around Suzie, they portray Angelica as some terrible singer. So even without Susie as competition, you'd think that Angelica would have lost anyway. I can only think of three things. First would be that Angelica cheated. Second would be that Angelica isn't actually a terrible singer. Third would be of course that everyone in the school that signed up is either an even worse singer than Angelica or in some cases they dropped out. I'm not saying any of the three theories are true, but they are the only ones I can think of.

(DilWeird) I think Angelica exxagerated about letting Susie sing the Solo, Doesn't Angelica know make up? plus if she had worked that hard that stopped her..Meh, that's unfair IMO, and Susie still acts like Angelica would owe something for singing (eye roll smiley)

So, I'm putting to a poll: Was Susie singing in this ep really such a letdown?

SSJ_Jup81: I'm a bit neutral on this, actually. Like I've mentioned in other topics here, I haven't watched much of AGU. Then again, it probably would've been nice to hear Angelica sing, although, it showed Angelica doing something selfless too. I finally saw this ep earlier today.

What would've made the ep better, imho, is if Angelica would've went on and got over that "I care what everyone thinks of me" complex she has.

One other thing I felt was a bit...silly, was the fact that Angelica didn't just fix her hair in a way to cover the spot with the zits. She has enough hair for it.

SpiderBraids: What would've made the ep better, imho, is if Angelica would've went on and got over that "I care what everyone thinks of me" complex she has.

Toonzone forum-ers also say that Helga should have changed after "Helga on the Couch". But that would be taking away most of her character, and it's the same with Angelica I guess.

One other thing I felt was a bit...silly, was the fact that Angelica didn't just fix her hair in a way to cover the spot with the zits. She has enough hair for it.

Who are you kidding? There isn't a cover up in the world. (Okay, I just copied Charlotte's line.)

But to nutshell things up:
- Susie didn't (get to) audition for the show, so why is she singing at the end?
- And Susie didn't even put out a new song, instead, she's using the "Runaround Susie" song.

chuckangie: The primary complaint is "Suzie didn't audition". So if this is the case then ANYBODY could sing as long as the person who passed the audition lets them.

SSJ_Jup81: Toonzone forum-ers also say that Helga should have changed after "Helga on the Couch". But that would be taking away most of her character, and it's the same with Angelica I guess.

Yeah, guess you're right.

Who are you kidding? There isn't a cover up in the world. (Okay, I just copied Charlotte's line.)

Actually, she could've. All she had to do was untuck her hair from behind her ear. I watched this particular ep with my 11-year-old cousin, and she said something similar.

(Not part of the original thread, but a comment I'd like to make right now... I guess she was really clamoring to see someone else sing for a change.)

- And Susie didn't even put out a new song, instead, she's using the "Runaround Susie" song.

I've never seen Runaround Susie, but my 11-year-old cousin mentioned to me, "That's the same song she sang in the other episode," and started to sing along with Susie (guess the ep was played a lot). Guess KC couldn't think up something else for her to sing.

RonDrakenfan17: I'm kind of tired of Suzie singing as well. It seems like she sings in each episode, I like her character but before AGU she never sang does she have to sing all the time now.

SpiderBraids: There are at least two examples of Susie singing pre-AGU!: the first Rugrats movie, and "And The Winner Is".

And to SSJ, I just looked at pix from the ep, and I don't think she would have looked good with her hair draped over her zits. As Charlotte said, there isn't a cover up in the world. Here's a picture of her at the end of the ep. (Originally, I just showed the picture... here, I'm linking to the page with it instead. Despite all the broken images, the relevant picture is still there.)

jarjar23: The only reason why Susie is labeled as a "great singer" in AGU is so that KC can come up with more plots about her singing, if she's going to become famous, etc. I'd bet any amount of money that there'll be an AGU special / movie that storyline revolves around Susie becoming a famous singer or something.

In my own opinion, I think Susie and her wonderful singing is a bit overated.
SpiderBraids: The only reason why Susie is labeled as a "great singer" in AGU is so that KC can come up with more plots about her singing, if she's going to become famous, etc. I'd bet any amount of money that there'll be an AGU special / movie that storyline revolves around Susie becoming a famous singer or something.

In my own opinion, I think Susie and her wonderful singing is a bit overated.

Don Del Grande is ahead of you on this aspect, but in sort of a different way. This is what he predicted in a newsgroup thread:

(Don Del Grande, posted December 3, 2004 on alt.tv.nickelodeon, under the thread title "Predictions")

Speaking of "All Grown Up", there will be an episode (if not a TV-movie) where Tommy and his friends help Susie get her money back from the woman who conned it from Susie in "Susie Sings the Blues" (even if it is something stupid like "make it seem like Dil is some incredibly popular talent so she'll be interested, and then, when she shows up to collect her money, have Susie and the police there instead" - and, of course, make sure that any involvement Angelica has at all only ends up almost blowing the whole thing).
(Personally, I hope I'm totally off track on this...)

And one of the upcoming eps this week (if Cooltoons is to be believed) makes a small and indirect, but significant, mention of Susie's talent.

(This is a reference to "Rats Race".)

Later, in Feb '06, the thread was bumped.

princesteve: I don't know what kind of deal do the producers of All Grown Up have with Cree Summer.

They have to let her sing as part of a deal?

I don't know why Cree is presuing a singing career now. Why didn't she pressue a singing career when she was on A Different World. After all her co star Jasmine Guy was presueing a singing at the time.

SpiderBraids: Since someone's decided to bumpity-bumpity this thread up from like 8 months ago, might as well add some new content...

My fic Cella's Diary takes a look behind the whole "Karma Dude" storyline. chuckangie might want to take a look behind this.

And wouldn't you know it? There was a special last fall which revolved mostly around the Rugrats taking Susie to New York to sing in a parade. But since there's been no news about AGU! lately, I doubt that we'll get to see Susie's dream come to fruition...

chuckangie: But since there's been no news about AGU! lately, I doubt that we'll get to see Susie's dream come to fruition...

With the recent rationing of AGU eps in the US, I suspect its gonna be ATBG all over again.

Up to now, I don't think the US have seen the last highschool eps of ATBG (unlike the rest of the world) and I think AGU might have the same fate.

The last remaining eps of AGU have been seen elsewhere.

====

Just for completeness, here's the thread rugrats1 (now Azumanga) used to preview the episode... back in Oct '04.

====

(Insert Cooltoons preview here)

SpiderBraids: Meanwhile, for those scoring at home, Susie misses the popstar boat AGAIN! Or maybe Angelica pulls a "Phoebe Takes The Fall" and gives Susie the big break she's been looking for the past 3 seasons, who knows?
I'm also thinking: "Ms. Nose It All" redux. If that didn't teach her a lesson on Karma, how about this one?

rugrats1: Or of course, an unknown minor character may win the audition instead of Angelica or Susie -- a plot device that has been used before in many series.

(Let's just pause and laugh at rugrats1's idea. Then again, K-C would use this plot device in "Rats Race", with a go-kart race instead of a singing audition.)

SpiderBraids: I call this device The Zmelik.
But if the Red Sox could finally win the World Series... then Susie's big break might just be around the corner, and it should be. Enough heartbreak for Susie-shippers, I say!
Besides, I get the impression that Angelica wins the audition in Susie's absence (then again, Susie's presence didn't stop her from getting a major role in the Everwood musical in "Interview..."), and then has her zit attack...

Meanwhile, imagines dialog from the ep:

Susie: You *know* I would have smoked you at the audition...
Angelica: Yeah, yeah, but who cares? I got the spot, you didn't show up. Nyaah.
Susie: Only because you didn't tell me. There is this thing called karma, you know...
Angelica: Karma, schmarma... I'm getting my big break, and nothing's stopping me, especially you.

Okay, it's not that good, you get the idea.

SpiderBraids: I was thinking that, if Susie didn't even get to audition, then she's probably not even eligible to take the part. Then this morning, I see an ep of CN's Atomic Betty, "Toxic Talent", where Betty does the exact thing. School talent show director/girl who doesn't like Betty won't let her audition for the show ("This is why it's called show business, people show up"), and yet at the end, she's jamming some song that rhymes "Sirius" with "delirious".
So maybe Susie might get her shot after all... let's wait and see...

(Let's just pause and laugh at how naive I was to think there was even the slightest possibility that Susie wouldn't get to sing. Then again, I was also sorta right about people having gripes that she didn't audition.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Nickelodeon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: