RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Nickelodeon articles from West Virginia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiderBraids
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Nickelodeon articles from West Virginia Reply with quote

All these are from today's (July 1) West Virginal Gazette Mail.

Quote:
An open letter to Nickelodeon

By Emily Barksdale
St. Marys High School

We run, we jump, we swim and play, we row and go on trips, but the things that last forever ...are apparently not good television shows — or Nickelodeon television shows, anyway.

Nickelodeon, what have you done with “Salute Your Shorts”? (For those of you who have forgotten, that’s the show’s theme song lyrics above.)

Where are “GUTS,” “Rocko’s Modern Life,” “The Adventures of Pete & Pete,” “Rugrats,” “The Ren & Stimpy Show,” “All That” and “Doug”?

Whatever happened to the days of “Wild and Crazy Kids,” “Kenan & Kel,” “Gullah Gullah Island,” “Hey Dude,” “Are You Afraid of the Dark?,” “Eureeka’s Castle” and “Legends of the Hidden Temple?”

We know better than to believe that our old hosts Face and Stick Stickly vanished without a trace.

You can’t just take our favorite shows off the air — with little to no warning, no less — and try to cover it up by creating cutesy female characters with hip names like Zoey. We’re on to you, Nickelodeon!

“No, no,” you may say, “it’s just that your generation has outgrown these shows. Our shows are targeted toward little children, so of course they wouldn’t interest you now.”

Oh yeah? Well, if that’s the case, how do you explain TEENick?

Sure, Nick has always been a channel for kids, but WVU freshman Emma Byrne remembers a time when she used to watch Nickelodeon originals with her teenage siblings. This is a sentiment that others share, so it is obvious that the quality of the shows has declined with a lack of more mature interest as a result, not the other way around.

The bottom line is we want our channel back! We want the shows that manage to include funny jokes with little to no vulgarity, which nowadays, is hard to come by.

“The old-school version [of Nickelodeon] gave the youth of the world a better learning environment with moral-oriented shows to help build better character for their future lives, while the new focuses purely on entertainment,” argued recent St. Marys graduate Justin Parsons.

But don’t take that the wrong way, Nick. We aren’t asking for a slew of new educational shows, either.

It’s sweet that Dora wants to teach us Spanish. And we’re honored that Joe came along to help with Blue when Steve mysteriously disappeared. Still, the best shows are the ones that make us laugh, the ones that we can talk about for years to come.

We want to be able to share these moments with our younger siblings because we want to, not because they force us to sit through another lame cartoon.

To put it simply, we just want the restoration of good, clean comedy on a network very near and dear to our hearts. Or at least give us a digital cable channel with all the old goodies.

Quote:
‘Kenan & Kel’ were Nick’s dynamic duo

By Bayan Misaghi
John Adams Middle School

“Kenan & Kel,” a Nickelodeon series that aired from 1996-2000, starred former “All That” cast members Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell as Kenan Rockmore and his pal Kel Kimble, two wild and crafty teenagers who were constantly engaged in hilarious, and sometimes twisted, plots to gain fame and fortune. They were a dynamic duo — the Siegfried and Roy, Penn and Teller or Abbot and Costello of the Nickelodeon set.

Each week, a different tale involving everything from incubators to I.Q. tests, chimpanzees to cold remedies and super heroes to scaling the Sears Tower never failed to send the live audience and viewers at home into stitches.

The show started with a theme song by Coolio and segued into an introduction of themselves by Kenan and Kel. The two then had a few minutes to show off with some random comedy ...none of which pertained to that episode’s actual plot.

This was a perfect hook to grab the audience’s attention during those slow first moments that open television shows. Opera solos, introductions in numerous languages, dance-offs and wild conversations between themselves and the audience are just some examples of the stunts the two performed to keep everyone on their toes.

Then, when Kel uttered the words “Aw, here it goes,” the audience knew it was time for yet another fine episode.

As far as plot, this show was never short on it. Each episode had a completely different storyline, with different characters introduced in each episode, diverse venues and some of the silliest situations imaginable.

However, some things remained constant. Kel’s simple, yet sometimes costly, obsession with orange soda was possibly the most common motif in the two teenagers’ lives. In one episode, a doctor’s office X-ray revealed that Kel’s inner ribcage and lungs had a particularly bright tint of orange to them.

Since his buddy Kenan worked at the local grocery store, Rigby’s, Kel often was found guzzling two-liter bottles of the sticky orange liquid and even took the liberty of ordering 10 cases for the constantly disappearing stock even though he didn’t work there. While Kenan’s fantasies included the typical cars, money and girls, Kel dreamed of a hot tub filled with orange soda and butlers serving only its finest brands.

But while Kel was grateful for what he had, Kenan was the dreamer and schemer of the two. He was always trying to make it big as easily as possible. Slightly girl crazy, often very wasteful and extremely impractical, he always managed to produce witty plans. However, they always ended up failing because of a minor flaw like him not listening to his parents, creating chaos through carelessly attempting to fix a slight problem, not paying attention to his actions and words or, most often, having Kel as his best bud.

Kenan might have started the problem by dropping a watch on the other side of the fence, for example, but Kel made sure to add as much havoc as possible. He would start by forcing Kenan’s head through the fence, then get it stuck and make fun of him for having a large head and end by getting his own head stuck, too. All of this would happen, when in reality, Kenan easily could have walked around the fence and retrieved the watch so the two would be on time for their double date instead of Kenan having to completely unhinge the fence and them having to walk into the movie theater with their heads still stuck between the bars.

Though the acting was mediocre and even choppy for a children’s show, it was the plot, dialogue and wild stunts that drew viewers’ attention and created devoted “Kenan & Kel” fans. Unfortunately, all good things have to come to an end, and now the saga of Kenan and Kel remains only a hazy orange memory of Nickelodeon’s zenith.

Quote:
Magical afternoons in ‘Eureeka’s Castle’

By Megan Young
St. Albans High School

When I was little, “Eureeka’s Castle” was one of the most talked about TV shows on the playground. I remember watching it every day as a kid. My brother and I would curl up in front of the TV while Mom made our lunch. Then when the show was over we would talk over the finer points of the episode while crunching our carrot sticks. To this day, I still remember the theme song.

“Eureeka’s Castle” first aired on Nickelodeon in the fall of 1989 and ran until 1995. It was written by well-known teen horror writer R.L. Stine.

It featured Eureeka, a sorceress in training who lived in the castle inside a giant’s music box along with her friends Magellan, a clumsy green dragon whose tail seemed to have a mind of its own and Batly, a goofy, egotistical bat. Other castle inhabitants included a band of singing mice and Bog and Quagmire, the twins who live in the moat surrounding the castle.

The plot of the show was nothing spectacular. Mainly, it was just the day-to-day goings-on of the music box’s inhabitants. I remember, however, being fascinated by the Muppetlike creatures’ silly fun.

The episode that sticks out most vividly in my mind is “Christmas at Eureeka’s Castle.” With the excitement of the season, my mom’s Christmas cookies and getting to stay up after dark to watch it, it was very memorable to me.

In it, Eureeka tries in vain to use her magic to produce a Christmas tree but winds up producing a Christmas tea instead. Magellan tries to help by decorating his tail and using it as a Christmas tree, only to have it destroy the stage for the Christmas show that Batly had worked so hard to prepare.

Dejected, Magellan and his pet Cooey make their way into the forest, certain that they can fix everything if they can bring home the perfect Christmas tree. This proves to be harder than expected because they are looking for one that already has lights on it.

Back in the music box, the Christmas spirit is wearing thin. There’s still no tree and Batly’s pet spider Webster just can’t seem to get the words to “Jingle Bells” straight.

Hours later, one of the mice tells Eureeka that Magellan has gone out on his own. Batly, feeling responsible for making Magellan run off, goes to find him. Seeing, however, was never one of Batly’s stronger points, and after finding the dragon he gets lost on the way back.

Not long after that Eureeka and the others get worried and head into the woods in search of their friends. Upon finding each other, they all become overjoyed at the thought of spending Christmas together, despite all that has happened. The Christmas spirit is quickly restored.

I was 5 when the show was canceled and, in my words, I was “getting too big for it anyhows.” But every now and then, I find the theme song swimming through my head, and an ache to curl up in front of the TV and watch it tugs at me.

Oh, to be in kindergarten again, when the only things to worry about were what was for lunch and what Magellan’s tail was going to knock over next.

What's with all these articles, you ask? Your answer is here:

Quote:
In July, FlipSide goes old-school

Today, FlipSide kicks off a monthlong series on nostalgia. Each week, we’ll focus on a different theme and reminisce about things that made our childhood great. This week, it’s all about TV, and in the coming weeks, we’ll cover everything from video games to music.

The idea was born of numerous FlipSide staff meetings where a simple mention of an old television show, movie or song sparked an animated discussion on that topic. Our staff has had a great deal of fun coming up with the topics on which to write. Revisiting these subjects has stirred up forgotten memories and brought smiles to our faces. We hope they do the same for you!

And, if you feel so inclined, share your memories on the general topics or specific subjects covered each week by sending us an e-mail at flipside@wvgazette.com. We’ll post your thoughts alongside these stories in the temporary “Nostalgia” section on our Web site, www.wvflipside.com.

bearbear
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all well and good to be nostalgic, but would people be praising Nickelodeon if they continued to air the exact same shows they aired 10 years ago? People want something new. Times change.

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I guess thats why we have video recorders
tommy_baby
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 10 years, we may even be campaining for FOP, Spongebob and Danny Phantom to come back!

OK, not Spongebob.

Recovering n00b. Seriously, what was I on in 2006-8?
Defense 55

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we won't. Today's shows are modeled strictly towards kids of a certain age. Back in the day, shows were geared for anybody between ages 7 and 18. It covered more of an audience.

Fan of Sponge
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot kids at my school still remember the shows that once aired on Nick. It brings out the nostlagic and good times when we were younger. Those articles are to remind us on what we did earlier and how we can't forget them because it sometimes taught us something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Nickelodeon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: