RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

The Save Klasky-Csupo Campaign

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiderBraids
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: The Save Klasky-Csupo Campaign Reply with quote

This classic from Nov '05 speculates on why K-C is no longer making stuff for Nick or anyone else, and plugs a site to change all that.

====

SpiderBraids: In light of K-C's recent downfall, I've started this campaign. Comment on it.

http://members.tripod.com/~Rover_Wow/savekc.htm

chuckangie: A movie was released in theaters in 1998, topping the box office at its first weekend, eventually grossing $100 million in North America

Thats an understatement because Rugrats Movie was the FIRST non-Disney animated film to ever top 100 mil. Thats how famous original Rugrats was.

It would be one thing if K-C had tied up all of its shows in a way that their fans wouldn't be begging for a continuation. However, K-C ended its cancelled series on major changes, and for two of the series, it would be trivial (and interesting) to pick up the story with these new changes.

From what I've heard, Nick has rules about their toons and one of them is "There are NO last episodes". It always has to be open ended. Zim with that episode where he died because he lost his back pack and Angry Beavers where Norb and Dag were talking about how they're not real (and bad mouthing Nick) are examples of shows that had guts and violated this rule. I would've SO loved if Zim was on WB.

Its KC's own fault why they're screwed up. They became sell outs and lost their principles the second the revived Rugrats after hiatus.
Not to mention they placed all their eggs in one basket (nick) opposed to the idea of making toons for various networks like they did so in the past.
They also explored various genres and ratings; Stressed Eric and Duckman were definately NOT FOR KIDS which they stopped doing.
And I think KC's already bankrupt.

If they could get back to their roots. Let in new talented people like they once did with Germain. And probably not screw these new talents this time, they'd probably get back on their feet. Anythings possible.

SpiderBraids: From what I've heard, Nick has rules about their toons and one of them is "There are NO last episodes". It always has to be open ended. Zim with that episode where he died because he lost his back pack and Angry Beavers where Norb and Dag were talking about how they're not real (and bad mouthing Nick) are examples of shows that had guts and violated this rule. I would've SO loved if Zim was on WB.

And neither of the eps were properly finished (much less aired). The wedding ep of Ginger is a proper finale as well.

However, there is a difference between ending on a normal and meaningless episode, and ending on an episode that brings changes that can be worked into the show. It happens RP and TWT finished with the latter kind of episode, and fans of both shows would like to see their shows' major changes played out for a while longer.

avaitor: i'd support this.rugrats,real monsters,and ginger are cool.

rugrats1: Its KC's own fault why they're screwed up. They became sell outs and lost their principles the second the revived Rugrats after hiatus.
Not to mention they placed all their eggs in one basket (nick) opposed to the idea of making toons for various networks like they did so in the past.

Apparently, Nick was also to blame -- I think there was a contract stating that they could only produce animation for Nickelodeon. Because of this contract, K-C was unable to make cartoons for other networks or companies.

Yes, there's the Ronald McDonald videos, but I think its commercial arm was responsible for that one.

They also explored various genres and ratings; Stressed Eric and Duckman were definately NOT FOR KIDS which they stopped doing.

Duckman ended because of poor ratings later in the run. As for "Stressed Eric", only 6 episodes were commissioned by the BBC; don't know if any more were planned.

In the US, the role of Eric was Americanised, with Hank Azaria voicing him. All other voices, including his daughter, remained British. NBC ran this series in 1998, but was cancelled after 3 episodes -- part of a neverending streak of bad luck for animation on NBC.

(Not only a bad streak for animation on NBC, but also a bad streak for prime-time animation on terrestrial networks not named Fox.)

To date, neither Duckman nor Eric can be found on video or DVD.

Also, K-C originally planned "The Immigrants" series for Spike Tv, but was apparently cancelled before even one episode aired.

Not the first time -- Nick picked up K-C's "What's Cooking", but, when they found out that SpongeBob and Oddparents are better than Rugrats and Ginger, it was cancelled just as fast as they picked it up.

And I think KC's already bankrupt.

If K-C was bankrupt, they would've said something about it in the trades, or their website. a company responsible for Rugrats isn't about to fail privately.

If they could get back to their roots. Let in new talented people like they once did with Germain. And probably not screw these new talents this time, they'd probably get back on their feet. Anythings possible.

...as long as they don't sign contracts that chain them to a network.

rugrats1: Another sign that K-C's in trouble, from this week's (#188) Club Cooltoons Newsletter:

COOLTOONS STORE IS CLOSING IN DECEMBER! GET THE MCDONALD CARTOONS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
The end of an era is fast approaching! Sadly, The Cooltoons Store will close its doors on December 1st, 2005, which means one of our most requested and best selling items, The Wacky Adventures of Ronald McDonald, will not be available ANYWHERE on the web! Don't delay! Order NOW before you have to pay big bucks on eBay for these modern day children's classics!

(After the Cooltoons webstore closure, K-C did in fact mention eBay auctions as well.)

chuckangie: Thats good info. I guess its either KC is very very unlucky or they have a talent for making bad choices. when choices count the most.

Oh well, life goes on...

SpiderBraids: I already mentioned the webstore closure on my Save K-C page. And I'd like to think that Nick is screwing them really badly.

tommy_baby: WAIT! If All Grown Up fails and KC ends, does that mean there will be no more re-runs? (Runs to Target insanely) gottogetdvd's!

rugrats1: The reruns will continue, as AGU (and the entire Rugrats family, plus Monsters, Thornberrys, Rocket Power and Ginger) are Nickelodeon property -- if K-C folds, the reruns will continue. Whether Klasky or Csupo will see a dime from these reruns -- I don't know.

Rugrat4Evr: In this week's newsletter, (#189) they stopped including the links along the side of the newsletter to go to not only the store, (of course) but also their website, and the past newsletter archive. I don't know... b/c they still have 2 more full seasons that they haven't aired yet, but still advertised for in their newsletters. I think we should all write letter to Nickelodeon and KC. Everyone always says this, but no one actually writes. If we all write, it will at least help a little. I think I went to that 'save KC' campeign site, and they had addresses for Nick and KC. So get addresses there, and write!

SpiderBraids: I wouldn't be surprised. Trying to get people to save KC is like trying to get the Rugrats to go to Angelica's birthday party:

From "Lucky 13"

Chuckie: "Angelica’s party is kind of guest light."

Dil: "Swank! More one-on-one time for me and my blow hole buddies."

Phil: "Serves Angelica right for being so bossy. Speaking of Bossy…and Flossy are we going Saturday or what? I wanna win a chance at milking her…I mean them."

Tommy: "I don’t know guys, this sounds pretty sad."

Chuckie: "I know it’s really sad. Angelica didn’t want us at a party that no-one else even wants to go to. Does the bottom of the food chain have a basement?!"

Tommy: "I bet she wants us to go now."

Phil: "She made it pretty obvious that she didn’t. Besides, who cares?"

Tommy: "Well, I say we take a vote."

Phil: "Well let me go first. No no no no no no no no!"

(As Phil keeps saying ‘no’ the scene changes to the Java Lava)

Tommy: "We get it! Besides, were here for the girls vote anyway."

(Lil and Kimi look at each other)

Lil & Kimi: "NO!"

Tommy: "Thanks for giving it some thought. Okay Chuckie, you’re my last hope."

Chuckie: "Seeing as I foresee this party as considerable potential damage to my self-esteem, I feel I have to choice to vote no!"

Tommy: "Agh!"

Chuckie: "I mean, it’s Angelica! For all we know she could stick us in little outfits and make us serve punch!"

Basically, no one wants to save KC because their shows have sucked generally lately.

chuckangie: KC toons have an ability to gather fans because they start out good. But KC toons also have that talent for "changing" everything for the worst thus pissing off an already existing fanbase and turning them into haters.

This applies to all KC nicktoons with only "Ahh Real Monsters" spared of the indignity (because it was never revived) and "Rugrats" having the worst case scenario.

SpiderBraids: But I notice that some of the recent changes may be for the better: Debbie knowing about Eliza's powers, and Ray's marriage to a safety freak. At least the shows would be more interesting if they were revived...

chuckangie: There weren't that many changes for WTB. Deb knowing Elizas secret was one of the more subtle changes that was actually useful. It was the addition of Shane G that screwed it up IMO.

Based on first hand exp, it is very hard to add characters that aren't at least related to another established character on the show.

RP had a problem with delivery. If only Ray's bride had appearances in earlier episodes, it wouldn't look like she just popped out of nowhere. Long term fanbases find it difficult to warm up to sudden changes like this.

ATBG is a different case. In the original episodes, all the characters were likable. Even the most unpopular ones like Doddie and Miranda had redeaming qualities especially once you had perspective into their families and their up bringing.

In the later episodes, it was like Kapnek was deliberately pissing off the fans cause she just wanted it all to end. It reminded me of the Rocko eps where the Bighead's son screwed up his own show cause he wanted to retire.

As for Rugrats, everyone knows this story. It was revived because of its growing popularity in reruns. Nick saw their cash cow and KC became sell outs. Cynical but simple.

avaitor: ginger and darren should of never went out,and twt stayed on a little too long for my taste.rp should of never had the wedding,and agu shouldn't of happened.plus,i perfer tommy as an only child and chazz a bachlor.he barely knew kira in the first place.rm is the only show that stayed it's perfect self.

SpiderBraids: There weren't that many changes for WTB. Deb knowing Elizas secret was one of the more subtle changes that was actually useful. It was the addition of Shane G that screwed it up IMO.

But Shane G was a short-termer (5 ep) anyway.

Based on first hand exp, it is very hard to add characters that aren't at least related to another established character on the show.

Noelani was related to Tito.

RP had a problem with delivery. If only Ray's bride had appearances in earlier episodes, it wouldn't look like she just popped out of nowhere. Long term fanbases find it difficult to warm up to sudden changes like this.

RP fans seem to have warmed up to Noelani just fine (even though some think that they had been setting up Breezy for something similar).

chuckangie: ginger and darren should of never went out

Agreed. That right there is a dead end. Theres nothing to write about that because Daren and Ginger are so Fairytale-ish. Daren/Miranda had more potential. It gives the Miranda character the opportunity to break out of her stereo type and flesh her out more. Maybe even become a friend to Ginger. Daren also had the chance to escape the "cookie cutter" role he was given as in "The concept of sacrifice in a relationship" would easily have been portrayable with him. I think thats what Kapnek wanted but I'm also thinking she was preasured to change it to Darren/Ginger because its not the commercialized version of a happy ending.

RP fans seem to have warmed up to Noelani just fine (even though some think that they had been setting up Breezy for something similar).

Breezy was IMO the original idea. She didn't replace anyone but rather created a new dimension. But KC thought that Breezy had no backstory. They wanted to make the wedding mushy and touching so went the easy way out. Instead of actually developing Breezy, they decided to make use of Tito's vague backstory and create Noelani (complete with flashbacks and such). To me thats kinda cheap especially since theres no mention of her in previous episodes..

avaitor: ginger and darren should of never went out,and twt stayed on a little too long for my taste.rp should of never had the wedding,and agu shouldn't of happened.plus,i perfer tommy as an only child and chazz a bachlor.he barely knew kira in the first place.rm is the only show that stayed it's perfect self.

i don't hate the wild thornberries,it was just on a little too long for my taste.

Fan of Sponge
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that KC is dead. The problem that they had was they didn't reinvent itself in the first place beginning with their downfall around 2000. KC thought they could bank on Nick to continue airing their programs and release new material. However, the public sort became disgusted with KC as time went on and Nick listen by pulling off some of KC's programs. New cartoons are bent on slapstick, pop culture, and no point elements. I guess no one really wants a point with some issues in children's cartoons. It's only for adults now...

Businesses always die in the world. New ones who outpace others will eventually kill them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Nickelodeon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: