RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

[RP] There's Something About Breezy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiderBraids
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: [RP] There's Something About Breezy Reply with quote

Another post from the old board.

Mike2000 posted this article he wrote about Breezy Copeley, and why she was jettisoned in favor of Noelani. Here goes:

====

Hello, all!

I havent found any article in the Net dealing with Breezy, and, given the important events presented on Island of the Menehune and more recently "The big day", my friend SpiderBraids suggested to write an essay on this underrated character, so here it is: a small article about the gorgeous blonde girl from the East Coast. (By the way, sorry for the delay, SpiderBraids; I know this was supposed to be published earlier, but I think it will benefit from the new information just unveiled, so it might be worth the wait.)

Ok. Here we go. This fun-loving girl appeared only a couple of times in Rocket Power, and that was enough to cause a very big impression on some fans, to the point that they argue that she should have married Ray. This controversy becomes even more intense now, in view of the airing of the new Rocket Power movie, Island of the Menehune, which finally answers some of the questions about the deceased mother of Reggie and Otto, and introduces a new character, Noelani Makani, who eventually marries Raymundo.

The sudden fading of Rays latest crush leaves a lot of questions in the air. Who is Breezy, the blonde, middle-aged woman who managed to excite the imagination of all the (male) members of the Rocket gang? Why didnt she become a regular character in the series? What happened to her?

First of all, lets examine the facts we know about her. Breezy Copeley arrived in Ocean Shores one day, as sales representative for a large clothing and sports equipment manufacturer from the East Coast. She met Ray Rocket and the kids when she visited the rental shop under the Shore Shack, and introduced herself as a traveling agent, which means she travels from city to city promoting the products of her company.

She was a very good-looking woman, probably in her late 30s, and, although it wasnt mentioned in the show, it was evident that both Ray and the boys found her attractive.

She was later seen at Mad Town, where she surprised the gang by making some very difficult stunts on her rollerblades; and, when the kids were on the beach, she demonstrated how good a surfer she was, even helping Sammy understand how to make a turn on his board.

The last time we saw her, she invited the gang to a nearby lake to test some new equipment and, after a series of accidents caused by the ill-designed stuff, she and the gang managed to have a good time together.

And thats about it. We never knew the details of her life: her marital status, her age, where she lives, even if she was interested on Raymundo or simply considered him a funny friend. As for Raymundo, it was evident that he was attracted to Breezy, and even asked her out once; but it seems his crush disappeared as soon as it started when Breezy left.

Heres where the speculation begins: Maybe Klasky-Csupo originally planned to have her marry Raymundo, but changed their minds when they started the Island of the Menehune project. Or maybe the studio planned to make more episodes for the series, but these plans were not accepted by Nickelodeon. And yet another theory is that, along with Trent, Breezy was a fill-up character in an effort to add variety to the series, instead of focusing exclusively on the adventures of a bunch of pre-teen kids.

So, whatever the reasons for her dismissal, the truth is that Breezy Copeley not only missed the chance of becoming a regular character in the show, but also of being Rays wife. Thats a cold fact, and nothing we speculate can change it.

Of course, if I had to explain why Breezy never returned to Ocean Shores, and why she and Raymundo didnt marry, I would say that, being a traveling agent, she could have been transfered to other part of the country, or maybe her job required her to stay in the East Coast longer. Either way, she wouldnt have been able to visit Californa so often, and thus, her relationship with Ray and the kids simply faded away. But this theory is shattered to pieces by the newest movie, "The Big Day". On it, Breezy is seen attending Raymundo's wedding and apparently having a very close relationship with none other than Conroy Blanc!!

Reading about Breezy's apparent affair with Conroy made me think more carefully about her role in the whole Rocket Power plot, and I realized something: Ray had a crush on her, but, did she feel something for Raymundo?? I don't think so.

So, this is my latest theory about her role: Breezy arrived in Ocean Shores as a traveling agent and met the locals while promoting her company's products. She met Raymundo and made friends with him, but she saw him only as a /friend/. Maybe Raymundo is way too old for her, maybe the fact that he is a widower with two preteen kids didn't help encourage her to start a relationship; whatever the reason, now it seems evident to me that it was Breezy the one who "stepped away" when she noticed that Ray was feeling something for her.

And here's where Conroy enters the scene. Let's picture the scenario: Breezy walks in (er... /skates/ in) Madtown and starts showing off her moves. Conroy sees her, and eventually meets her. Here we have a single, younger man with a very interesting background... it isn't that difficult to explain how a "spark" could have started between the two of them.

In any event, that Ray didn't have any hard feelings towards Breezy or Conroy is evidenced by the fact that both attended his wedding to Noelani.

And so, my fellow RP fans, is how I explain why Breezy hasn't appeared too much in the show, and why she attended Ray's wedding. Some people think that it was she who should have become Mrs. Rocket, but I think it wasn't meant to be.

What do you think??

Mike.

====

Commentary:

ottoman21: One question: How would you see the Conroy/Breezy coupling work out?

SpiderBraids: This fun-loving girl appeared only a couple of times in Rocket Power, and that was enough to cause a very big impression on some fans, to the point that they argue that she should have married Ray.

I would have said "...that they believed that she was going to marry Ray someday."

Some people think that it was she who should have become Mrs. Rocket, but I think it wasn't meant to be.

I think it was meant to be, if only because she and Ray hit it off in her first ep, and on most shows, that would be foreshadowing.

I'd also have mentioned the eps where the referred events take place, as well as NC's simple quote: "I still can't believe Ray won't be marrying Breezy." Apropos that quote, I'd probably try to work in the fact that "Summer Breezy" came out after Ray's planned wedding to Leilani was announced.

Now how about an article on Trent?...

FranksM&MAngl (shadysgurl): I don't know, Conroy/Breezy, it don't sound right to me. And Raymiundo and Noelani sound better, than Raymundo/Breezy. I mean Breezy was awesome at xtreme sports and was nice to the gang and all, but to me, I just didn't like her too well. That's just me, and it might have been that I was so tired that day when I watched it for the first time when Breezy aired, cos when the episode actually aired, I wasn't even interested in RP, and then it came on all the time. But when I started to watch it again in 2002, I loved it, and that was when it started to slowly stop showing so much, and now it hardly shows at all. But when it first aired in 1999, I watched it and loved it, and Twister was mny favorite character then, and Otto was my least. Back then, I likke Lars more than Otto. Hard to believe, but it's true. But when I got my PS2, and the Team ?Rocket Rescue game, I started growing back to it, and that was when I started to LOVE OTTO. And so far for almost two and a half years now I have loved RP again.. (smiles) Hard to believe, and imagine a time when I hated RP, huh? Glad I got to watchin' it again, cos I would have been misin' out on a awesome tv show, a hot boy named Otto Rocket, and all the people I have met from RPH, and this board. And to think, little 5ft me brought back RP to my best friends 4rm school. They all love it now, again. LOL!!!!!!! Well I have to go 4 now, and probably by early September, really late August expect an update for my fanfic Tipsy, and to see two new ones, called A Third Year Anniversary Disaster, and Girls vs. Boys Rocket Power style! More details on those two stories later, and in chapter3 of Tipsy, we will find out how Krystal got put up for adoption. Well see yas on the flip-side and bye..

SpiderBraids: Another thing I'd add to this article would be some time stamps, and to include how the viewers must have felt into consideration. Kind of like how I originally pitched the idea to Mike2000:

I still can't believe that Ray won't be marrying Breezy. He seemed so infatuated with her."

--Master NC, when "Summer Breezy" finally aired in the US in March 2004

The above can be said of some other RP fans. Until October 2003, RP fans had firmly believed that Breezy's introduction to the series about a year and a half earlier would eventually lead to her and Ray marrying in an upcoming telefilm about Otto and Reggie's mom.
However, that month, there was an annoucement from KC concerning this telefilm, which asked the question: "Who is Raymundo's new girlfriend Leilani and how is she connected to Otto and Reggie's mother?"
As it turned out, Leilani was just the name of his new girlfriend's cousin, and Noelani was in turn Tito's cousin, but there was a bigger question being asked among other RP fans: "What about Breezy?"

ottoman21: Believe me, she'll have a role, if I know KC well enough!

rpec: I didnt really like Breezy either. I think Noelani is a much better character.

MASTERNC: Wonder if the change had anything to do with Jane Krakowski, the lady which provided Breezy's voice. Maybe they had issues with her after the first two episodes and they decided to just remove Breezy from the cast rather than to try to change her voice.

ottoman21: I still want Breezy!

Mike2000: Maybe Nick is right. It is relatively easy to explain why one of the younger characters changes his voice; but changing the way a grown up sounds like is a very different proposition.

Knoodelhed: From 1999 straight on she's been involved in twelve feature films (just those accounted for by IMDB). I'd say that Krakowski has had a pretty full plate professionally.

ottoman21: Breezy should be in another episode, imo.

SpiderBraids: Speaking of new characters who were intro'd in April 2002 and only got 2 eps... wonder why they haven't used Trent in more eps since. Yes, I'm starting to sound like a broken record...

MASTERNC: I have a theory about Trent that revolves around Nick's apparent conservative nature.

Either they booted Greg Coolidge (who provided Trent's voice) because of his involvement in risque movies such as "Sorority Boys" (which he wrote), or they didn't want to make the series too sappy with romance (although ATBG has Darren and Ginger together as an obvious couple). Note how many other shows have open and constant romantic relationships between young characters.

ottoman21: No, you're fine, SpiderBraids, I don't know why they haven't put the characters you mentioned more into the show. They should though.

SSJ_Jup81: Either they booted Greg Coolidge (who provided Trent's voice) because of his involvement in risque movies such as "Sorority Boys" (which he wrote), or they didn't want to make the series too sappy with romance (although ATBG has Darren and Ginger together as an obvious couple). Note how many other shows have open and constant romantic relationships between young characters.

Even though both are KC shows, you can't really compare Rocket Power to As Told By Ginger dealing with a romance aspect. Rocket Power is supposed to deal with action and extreme sports, where as ATBG is a drama. Romance is to be expected in something like that or would have more bearing than any romance for a show like RP.

ottoman21: I take the second theory. I think romance doesn't match up with a show about extreme sports!

SpiderBraids: But it does match up with Reggie being 13 and all. I mean, they spend 11 minutes getting us to know Trent and establishing him as Reggie's big crush, and we've only seen him for another 11 minutes since (and in that ep, her crush wasn't really played much on). You'd think she'd at least bring up her crush on him in the eps he's not in... (and if there was a Valentine's Day ep of RP, it would stick out like a sore thumb not to mention Trent)
Then again, on my fave show "Hey Arnold!", "Gerald Vs. Jamie O" came out about a crush between Gerald and some older lady, and Phoebe (whose crush with Gerald has been well-documented) wasn't just absent from the ep, she wasn't even mentioned even once. Likewise, Ginger doesn't even mention Sasha outside of "Camp Caprice", "Ginger's Solo", and "Heat Lightning" (not coincidentally, the three ep he's actually in).

catwings: I personally was not thrilled with Breezy's character. Trent was cool. I had been dying to see something like that in the show for a while. In some of my stories however he's the bad guy, no clue why. I have decided to lay off him for some future stories and make up characters instead of ruin Trent's rep even further.

Back on topic, sometimes I wonder what will happen to these characters in the future? Will Reggie and Trent show more romance, or was that killed in his second appearance? I guess we'll have to see what KC has in store for them...

ottoman21: Reg and Twist would sound pretty darn cool!

SpiderBraids
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping it up, but turns out that this thread had another page I forgot to post the first time around. Here's the other page.

====

FranksM&MAngl (shadysgurl): My new fanfic is called Email my Heart, but it's still not finished with the first chapter.

P.S. I changed the tital.. I'm so happy I got my hair highlighted....

SpiderBraids: I guess we'll have to see what KC has in store for them...

I doubt that KC even has anything in store for them, since it's well known around these parts that RP is out of production.
*wonders if Mike2000 is drafting his Trent article*

ottoman21: How do we know for sure that the show is out of production?

FranksM&MAngl: Yeah, how do we know that? I still have faith in them. As they say, God works in misterious ways, maybe God can help us make them change their minds about stopping the production. Who knows.

ottoman21: One word of advice to the producers: Listen to what Joseph has to say about where RP is going. He probably didn't like his role in 'The Big Day' Just some advice.

FranksM&MAngl: I wouldn't like having to play the role of the bad guy. In Otto's case, he was like worse than Lexi from my school. But I stil love you OTTO!!!

SpiderBraids: Well, I've put together my data and Mike's, and here's the result of all that cobbling:

What About Breezy?
by SpiderBraids and Mike2000

"I still can't believe that Ray won't be marrying Breezy. He seemed so infatuated with her."

--Master NC, when "Summer Breezy" aired in the US in March 2004

In April 2002, Klasky-Csupo introduced a new character, an East Coast traveling salesman named Breezy Copeley, to the Nicktoon series Rocket Power, fans firmly believed that her introduction to the series would eventually lead to her and Ray marrying, and it was speculated that it would happen in an upcoming telefilm about Otto and Reggie's mom, which was announced later that year.
Later, there was an announcement came out from K-C concerning this telefilm. However, the announcement came as a surprise to some people when it asked the question: "Who is Raymundo's new girlfriend Leilani and how is she connected to Otto and Reggie's mother?"
It would later turn out that K-C themselves had gotten the names confused: the new girlfriend, Tito's cousin as it turned out, was named Noelani, who had a cousin named Leilani.
However, that annoucement left a lot of questions in the air. Who is Breezy, the blonde, middle-aged woman who managed to excite the imagination of all the (male) members of the Rocket gang? Why didnt she become a regular character in the series? What happened to her?

First of all, lets examine the facts we know about her. In "There's Something About Breezy" (first US tx: April 11, 2002), Breezy Copeley (voiced by Ally McBeal regular Jame Krakowski) arrived in Ocean Shores as a sales representative for Sunset Surf, a large clothing and sports equipment manufacturer from the East Coast.

Anyways, she met Ray Rocket and the kids when she visited the rental shop under the Shore Shack, and introduced herself as a traveling agent, which means she travels from city to city promoting the products of her company.
She was a very good-looking woman, probably in her late 30s, and, although it wasnt mentioned in the show, it was evident that both Ray and the boys found her attractive. Fans saw this as foreshadowing, which I'll mention later on.
She was later seen at Mad Town, where she surprised the gang by making some very difficult stunts on her rollerblades; and, when the kids were on the beach, she demonstrated how good a surfer she was, even helping Sammy understand how to make a turn on his board.
All this no doubt would have made a great impression on some of the viewers. Here are some Nickdisk boarders' thoughts (OK, so they both belong to Master NC):

"I think they should also include the story about their mom and maybe have Ray get married to Breezy or someone else." -- Master NC, on what K-C should do for an RP movie, May 2002
"I guess Trent and Breezy ARE here to stay!" -- Master NC, on reading about Nick UK promoting upcoming new eps, May 2002

Later in May 2002, K-C came out with an announcement that there was another episode with Breezy yet to come: "Summer Breezy", featuring her traveling with the gang to Lake Tahoe... however, in the US, several months would then pass by without any sign of this episode coming on.
The next time that there was any buzz on Breezy, it was when K-C had revamped their RP page from an HTML-based format to a 100% Flash interface, in late January 2003. It featured bios not just of the main characters, but also the lesser players in the show like Trent (who also seems to have gotten the shaft, but that's another article for another time) and of course Breezy. Her bio reads thusly:

"Breezy first met the Rocket's as a rep for Sunset Surf clothing, but soon proved to be more than just a sales woman when she demonstrated her impressive surf and skate abilities to the kids. They weren't the only ones who took notice of Breezy, as Ray Rocket was quickly smitten with her charms. Breezy has come back a few times to visit the Shore Shack, and may become a permanent fixture around Ocean Shores in the future."

This prompted another comment from Master NC: "Maybe this is a hint of what's to come (HINT: Church bells ringing)."

However, the next time there was any mention of her, it was not going to be pretty. K-C had mentioned an upcoming telefilm which would reveal what happened to Otto and Reggie's mom, twice:

November 2002: One of the most frequently asked questions we get at Cooltoons is "What happened to Otto and Reggie's mom?" The secret will be revealed in an upcoming full-length Rocket Power Nick Flick! The 90-minute special is currently in production, so don't expect to see it on TV until the end of next year.
December 2002: (NEXT YEAR FROM KLASKY CSUPO...) The mystery will be solved... A new Rocket Power Nick Flick movie will reveal what happened to Otto and Reggie's mom!

Many viewers speculated that this would be when Ray would marry Breezy. As 2003 was rolling by, the only Nick Flick that came out was "Reggie's Beach Break" (first US tx: July 19, 2003), and soon after K-C put out a third announcement concerning this project, revealing the title as "Island of the Menehune"... however, it wasn't pretty, not for Breezyshippers at least, as one line of the article read: "And most important, who is Raymundo's new girlfriend Leilani and how is she connected to Otto and Reggie's mother?"

This set off alarms, so to speak:

"I thought K-C was hinting that Breezy and Ray were going to be married in the future." -- Master NC, upon reading the announcement
"Uh-oh. That's neat that Ray's getting married, but I think a lot of Breezyshippers are going to be disappointed." -- wayc, after K-C plugged the wedding again (along with one on Ginger) in December 2003
"The big question is: what happened to all this hype about Breezy becoming a permanent addition to the Rocket family (as it says on K-C's website under her profile)? I guess K-C changed their minds and abandoned that idea pretty quickly." -- Master NC, also reading the December wedding plug

Nick US finally aired "Summer Breezy" (first US tx: March 22, 2004) several months later... in that ep, she invited the gang to Lake Tahoe to test some new equipment and, after a series of accidents caused by the ill-designed stuff, she and the gang managed to have a good time together. By that point however, Ray's crush on her had already become completely pointless.

On the brief time she was on the show, we never knew the details of her life: her marital status, her age, where she lives, even if she was interested on Raymundo or simply considered him a funny friend. As for Raymundo, it was evident that he was attracted to Breezy, and even asked her out once; but it seems his crush disappeared as soon as it started when Breezy left.

Almost as soon as IotM was announced, some speculation began in the Nickdisk forum over this major oversight. Mike2000 came to this conclusion around the time "The Big Day" (first US tx: July 30, 2004) aired in the US: "Maybe Klasky-Csupo originally planned to have her marry Raymundo, but changed their minds when they started the 'Island of the Menehune' project. Or maybe the studio planned to make more episodes for the series, but these plans were not accepted by Nickelodeon. And yet another theory is that, along with Trent, Breezy was a fill-up character in an effort to add variety to the series, instead of focusing exclusively on the adventures of a bunch of pre-teen kids."

Either way, it seems that Breezy's not going to be a regular on this show, especially with the show out of production... but wait, there's more.
After showing Ray meeting Noelani in "Island of the Menehune" (first US tx: July 16, 2004), but not the expected wedding, fans wondered if they would even be showing it. Then, "The Big Day" aired. Of course, it featured Ray's marriage to Noelani, but one eagle-eyed fan (well, with a VCR) noticed a familiar face in the background:

"When you watch "The Big Day", look carefully at the background. First, after Mommi makes her speech on stage, look behind at the other tables. There you will see a profile that looks exactly like Breezy (her hair is the right color, too). She is sitting next to Conroy at the table.

Next, watch after Otto & Reggie have their talk in the hall. When everybody is leaving, you can note Conroy and Breezy walking next to each other. I paused the recording and noticed something. To me, it looks like Conroy's right arm is around Breezy's hip (she is to his right)."

-- Master NC

Mike2000 added to his speculation thusly:

"Breezy arrived in Ocean Shores as a traveling agent and met the locals while promoting her company's products. She met Raymundo and made friends with him, but she saw him only as a /friend/. Maybe Raymundo is way too old for her, maybe the fact that he is a widower with two preteen kids didn't help encourage her to start a relationship; whatever the reason, now it seems evident to me that it was Breezy the one who "stepped away" when she noticed that Ray was feeling something for her.

And here's where Conroy enters the scene. Let's picture the scenario: Breezy walks in (er... /skates/ in) Madtown and starts showing off her moves. Conroy sees her, and eventually meets her. Here we have a single, younger man with a very interesting background... it isn't that difficult to explain how a "spark" could have started between the two of them.

In any event, that Ray didn't have any hard feelings towards Breezy or Conroy is evidenced by the fact that both attended his wedding to Noelani."

It remains to be seen how things will go from there... or if there are even any remaining episodes to begin with, since there have been persistent rumors that RP has gone out of production.

OK, review it.

FranksM&MAngl: Oww, my head hurts, that was a lot to read. LOL!! Anybody seen the new issue of the nickelodeon mag? They did a thing called Nicktoons all grown up, and they have Reggie, Twister, Sam, and Otto older. they made Otto ugly. Sam's the hot one in that picture. Otto's the one that is supposed to be hotter than he already is. I'll begin describing Otto, in the way I see it, uglyness.

Otto: Yellow tank top, dread locks in ponytail with blue rubber bands at the ends, NO SUNGLASSES, has a small golden hoop earing, has wiskers, and has bracelets., ohh, and a watch.

Now I mean I love the tank top, or as the guys at my school would say, muscle shirt, earing, and the dreads, but not the ponytail. I wear those, that's kinda unattractive, to me anyways. But I don't like the ponytail, as I said before, and the wiskers. I love clean shaved, not prickly shaved. [I have no idea what that ment.] Anyways, It said that Reggie was doing her zines, Twister was a director, Sam had grown muscular, and was surfing with conffidence, and Otto was a pro skateboarder, and surfer, and not much good at anything else. What about hockey? And rollerblading? Anyways, as you can tell, I'm not liking the nictoon I LOVE all grown up. So if they do decide to make them all older, then they better change Otto's look. I'm sorry, but I won't be watching it if they don't change his look, only if they make them grown up, but for now, I'M GANNA KEEP ON WATCHIN' IT. AND OTTOIS STILL HOTT to the tenth power, and more. LOL!!!

GIANT MONKEYS!!! AHHHHH!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

MASTERNC: Forgive me for sounding bossy, but:

Someone needs to get a copy of that magazine and scan that image ASAP

I think there are a lot of people here who would give their two front teeth to see that photo (including me).

[ACTION]Nick considers where he might be able to get an expensive copy of the magazine [/ACTION]

SSJ_Jup81: I don't know about two front teeth, but I would like to see something like that!

ottoman21: I'll take Otto's dreads over a ponytail anyday.

TxblueME: I have to see Twister all grown up!

MASTERNC: Which issue was it? I went to the store and found the latest issue of Nick magazine. It was a "Best of" edition and I could not find anything about Nicktoons all grown up. I even scanned the whole issue. I'm thinking that it was last month's issue and that they just removed it from the shelves.
---
RIP Danielle Rocket

Welcome: Mrs. Noelani Rocket

====

As a bonus, this short poll about Breezy, from Apr '04.

====

SpiderBraids: Like Trent, Breezy was introduced around April 2002. Like Trent, she was smitten with a series regular in her debut ep (in this case, Ray). Like Trent/Reggie, some fans were supportive of Breezy/Ray, and were probably expecting the two to get married (esp. since there was going to be a movie about their previous mom, a perfect opportunity for them to marry). But like Trent, some of you might feel she hasn't gotten her fair share of eps (has she been in any other eps besides her debut and "Summer Breezy"? If not, her ep count would be equal to that of Trent's)... in fact, if marrying Ray and Breezy had been KC's original plan, they've since backed off on it. So like Trent, I'm putting out this poll.

SSJ_Jup81: I voted for the wrong thing by mistake. I meant to put "maybe."

Anyway, I didn't know whether to expect more from her or not since she was an adult character, and the show normally focuses on the kid (which is why I voted yes for Trent). Besides, it was implied that she travelled a lot, which is another reason why I thought of it as a "maybe."

aurora_rose: i put maybe. i was gonna put yes, but then i read SSJ_Jup81's reply and it made sense cuz she travels alot.

====

This poll went with another poll about Trent. I'll dig it out and post it shortly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Nickelodeon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: