NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

website safety question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: website safety question Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

If I create a website and say that it is "G-rated" or "PG-rated," do those of you outside the U.S. know what those terms mean?

I think they came from American movie ratings - the system that the Motion Picture Association of America uses (tamest to most offensive?) is:

G = general audience
PG = parental guidance recommended for children
PG-13 = parent or guardian recommended for kids under 13
R = restricted... parent or guardian required for kids under 17

But anyway, my question is - if I say that a web page is G-rated, is that going to be clear to site visitors who are not from the U.S.? Thanks for the help Sourire

(Sorry for my major absences lately, btw...)

Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you again, Sarah!

Well, let's see.... for what I know, each country has its own rating system for movies and such, but they basically use the same categories as the MPAA.

Down here, in Mexico, we have a lettering system like this:

A - for all audiences (equivalente to the G rating)
B - teenagers and adults (roughly equivalent to PG, PG-13)
C - adults (equivalent to R)

in Argentina and Brasil they also have their own nomenclature, but basically they rate movies and TV shows by age group: children, teens, and adults.

The American standard has become quite known in Mexico, particularly since the dawn of the DVD Era, because most discs are rated using the MPAA system, not the local one. So it shouldn't be too difficult for someone in Mexico to understand the meaning of a rating system on an Internet site.

Maybe, for clarification purposes, it would be a good idea to have some sort of "help page" where you define what that rating means, and add a link to it in the home page, say, "to learn more about the rating system used on this site, please read this page."

Hope this helps. ^^
Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also some sites I have been to will say it may be different in other countries. age wise (something along those lines)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: