View previous topic :: View next topic  
superyo
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine your face when you'll see the FedEx truck Très content

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm excited! Très content (Yeah, I know! I'm a geek! Rire )

Everyone seems to have differences of opinion on Macs, though. I've heard several people say they're great, and I've heard several others say they hate them. Meg, one of my friends from work, has a MacBook and says she'll never buy another Mac again. She has lots of problems finding compatible hardware (She does a lot of photo editing and stuff with photos), and she says a lot of websites she visits aren't Mac compatible, which makes me wonder what browser she's using on it, because when I tried Safari out at the Apple Store I visited several websites (Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, etc.) and they all seemed to work great for me.

Probably the one thing I'm most excited about, though, is if something comes unplugged or I need to move the computer for whatever reason, I'll only have cords to worry about: The keyboard, the mouse, the printer, and the power cord. It's easy to take down and set up, if you have to move it it's all one unit, and it takes up less room. Plus, I'll have fun playing with and learning the OS. Clin d'oeil I just have to back up my iTunes library to a CD because when I plug the iPod into the iMac, the iPod will have to reformat itself so it can communicate with the Mac, therefore wiping out all my music.

I told one of my managers the other day what I was getting, and his jawed dropped. (I wish I had a camera so I could've taken a picture of the expression on his face. Rire It was really funny! Rire ) The first thing that came out of his mouth was (And he almost yelled it, which made the whole thing even funnier) "I'M REALLY JEALOUS!" Rire He said he's been looking at the MacBooks for the last couple of years and has decided that that's what he's going to get when he gets ready to get a new laptop. The he said he wanted to come to my house to play with the computer. I told him I was going to sell tickets for $1 a piece to use the Mac for half an hour, then I'd use the proceeds from that to help pay for the thing. (I'm already saving silver spare change in a jar, and so far I've collected about $21. That's not counting pennies, which I have another container full of and there's probably about $75 worth of those. I'm rolling all of those up and I'm going to take them all to work when I get them all rolled and sell them to the cash office. I figured they can use them for sure, and I can just take the cash and apply it towards my credit card bill, which I have to pay in the store, anyway, since it's on a Wal-Mart Discover Card.)

My niece is also dying to try it out. She loves Macs. Her first computer was one of the original iMacs (Remember those?), and yes, it was Bondi Blue! She's now got a MacBook, and my sister (her mom) has an iMac like mine.

Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a geek, I guess everyone's quite happy to have a new device Sourire

Alot of hardware are compatible with Macs... I wonder what didn't work ? Confused

Now about Internet, I think Safari won't have any problem visiting 99% of site. The only site it can't use are the one using ActiveX plugins

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She said Yahoo was one of them, but my sister said she uses Yahoo all the time on hers and it works great. She said it's just certain things from Yahoo that don't work, like LaunchCast. Oh well, I'm not worried about it too much. I figured if I run into a problem like that and really need to use the site I can do it from a different computer.

Just checked it again and it's on the truck for delivery, so it'll be here sometime today, maybe in the next couple of hours! Très content

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superyo wrote:
Now about Internet, I think Safari won't have any problem visiting 99% of site. The only site it can't use are the one using ActiveX plugins

ActiveX is so 20th century, so Microsoft. Tire la langue Real webmasters nowadays tend to steer clear of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S HERE!! IT'S HERE!! Très content IT'S HERE AND I LOVE IT!! Très content

It took the FedEx truck forever to come, but it finally got here about two and a half hours ago. I was putting clothes in the washer and I left that long enough to go answer the door, sign for the package and bring it in the house. I went back and finished loading the washer, but as soon as that was done I was there opening the box up. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning! Rire

I had the whole thing set up in less than ten minutes. It set everything up, the webcam took my pic, I created a .Mac account, and now here I am! (Of course I played with it for a little while before coming here!) So far I'm not having any problems with the switch of OS's, although there's still a few things I'd like to learn. No problem, I think this'll be easy to learn.

I love the graphics and the sound. The keyboard is taking some getting used to, though, as it's pretty much flat with no ergonomics. My right arm is starting to hurt a little from typing on it. I've played with the remote and had fun with that. Whole websites also look completely different on a Mac than they do on Windows, for some strange reason, including this one.

My mom has also fallen in love with it, and now she wants a Mac. Rire She was having fun watching the screen savers. (It's got some really cool ones!)

Even after just a little while of using the Mac, Windows looks yucky! I also like how on this one I can't have a billion icons on the desktop. I was always creating icons for stuff on the Windows computer, and I can't do that with this one. That's OK with me, though. Less "clutter" to deal with on the screen.

It's also extremely quiet and takes about five seconds to boot up and about five seconds to shut down. It takes the Windows computer about 10 minutes to boot up (Yes, it's that slow!) and about three minutes to shut down, longer if updates were downloaded.

So yes, I'm very happy with my purchase! Très content I'm a believer now and don't want to switch back to Windows again! Sourire (I feel like I've crossed over to "The Dark Side". Rire )

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!! Awesome news!!

BeverlyHillsChick wrote:
...I was putting clothes in the washer...

Heh. No iPods in the washer this time, I hope? XD (J/K)
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike2000 wrote:
Congratulations!!! Awesome news!!

BeverlyHillsChick wrote:
...I was putting clothes in the washer...

Rire Nope! No iPods, no cellphones, and certainly no Macs in the washer! Rire They're not allowed in the "pool".

I've noticed that I have a lot of old Window$ habits I have to break. I keep trying to do stuff in different programs on this thing and keep forgetting that I have to use the menu bar up at the top for most stuff, which gets frustrating at times. I've also noticed that my ISP is not very Mac-friendly when online, it seems like they're only Mac-friendly when it's convenient for them. Several times I've attempted to get online and their server won't respond, the modem rings but a connection can't be established, or I'll be online for two or three minutes and then I'm booted off. Then I go and try getting online with the same account on the Window$ computer and it works great on there. (Except for the machine being slow and the occasional freeze.) So I might have to call them on Monday and address some issues.

I've also found out that on Safari you can't have Private Browsing turned on on some websites that require you to log in before you can do certain things. (Like on this site, for example.) You can enter in your User ID and password and click on "Log in", but then you're taken right back to the Log In screen again. I discovered this when I went to log in here before I posted this. After realizing what the problem may be, I went and clicked on Safari on the menu bar at the top of the screen, then unselected Private Browsing. This looks like it might be a bug in the software, as I've been unable to find any information on it anywhere.

Still trying to get used to the keyboard, too. I keep making lots of typos and mistakes with it because the keys are flat. I also need to check on getting one of those gel wrist pads for it because I don't like how awkward it is to have to hold my wrists up from the desk when I'm typing because the keyboard is so flat. Everyone keeps telling me to switch keyboards, but I don't really want to do that because 1.) This really is a nice a keyboard, and aside from it being so flat I actually do like it, and 2.) This keyboard has the Option and Command keys on it (Or the Option and Apple keys, depending on if you want to be old school or not, as the Command key doesn't have the picture of an apple on it anymore.), and if I switch keyboards I won't have those keys on it and they're nice to have because you can use them for a lot of shortcuts in different programs and around the OS. Those two keys simplify a lot of stuff!

Last night I had fun messing around with GarageBand, a program that allows you to create your own songs and remix CDs. It's really fun! Sourire

I really have to say that I love the Mac OS environment much more than I do Window$. Seems much less bulkier and easier to use, and this is coming from someone whose used mostly Window$. I don't think I'll ever switch back! Sourire Apple's made a believer out of me! Sourire

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knoodelhed wrote:
ActiveX is so 20th century, so Microsoft. Tire la langue Real webmasters nowadays tend to steer clear of it.

Maybe but it's quite nice to see an auto installer in IE Tire la langue

BeverlyHillsChick wrote:
IT'S HERE!! IT'S HERE!! Très content IT'S HERE AND I LOVE IT!! Très content (...)

Woohoo Très content Congrats Très content

BeverlyHillsChick wrote:
(...) Whole websites also look completely different on a Mac than they do on Windows, for some strange reason, including this one. (...)

I'd be curious to see that Triste IF you find a want to make a screen grab... Tire la langue

Mike2000 wrote:

hi hi hi Rire

BeverlyHillsChick wrote:
(...) I've also found out that on Safari you can't have Private Browsing turned on on some websites that require you to log in before you can do certain things. (Like on this site, for example.) You can enter in your User ID and password and click on "Log in", but then you're taken right back to the Log In screen again. I discovered this when I went to log in here before I posted this. After realizing what the problem may be, I went and clicked on Safari on the menu bar at the top of the screen, then unselected Private Browsing. This looks like it might be a bug in the software, as I've been unable to find any information on it anywhere. (...)

I really can't help with that Triste

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superyo wrote:
knoodelhed wrote:

Maybe but it's quite nice to see an auto installer in IE Tire la langue

BeverlyHillsChick wrote:
IT'S HERE!! IT'S HERE!! Très content IT'S HERE AND I LOVE IT!! Très content (...)

Woohoo Très content Congrats Très content

BeverlyHillsChick wrote:
(...) Whole websites also look completely different on a Mac than they do on Windows, for some strange reason, including this one. (...)

I'd be curious to see that Triste IF you find a want to make a screen grab... Tire la langue

Mike2000 wrote:

hi hi hi Rire

BeverlyHillsChick wrote:
(...) I've also found out that on Safari you can't have Private Browsing turned on on some websites that require you to log in before you can do certain things. (Like on this site, for example.) You can enter in your User ID and password and click on "Log in", but then you're taken right back to the Log In screen again. I discovered this when I went to log in here before I posted this. After realizing what the problem may be, I went and clicked on Safari on the menu bar at the top of the screen, then unselected Private Browsing. This looks like it might be a bug in the software, as I've been unable to find any information on it anywhere. (...)

I really can't help with that Triste

I will put some screen grabs up for everyone to see. I've realized now that they look different just because I'm using a different browser and I no longer have the option of making the browser windows full screen, and the text looks smaller. I know I can change the text size and make it bigger, but what it's sitting at right now is fine for me.

I think the thing with the Private Browsing and being unable to use it with sites that require you to log in is a bug. I'm wondering if it's worth reporting it, since it's not really that big of a deal.

I still find myself wanting to highlight something, like a URL, with the mouse, and then wanting to copy and paste it (or cut and paste it) somewhere, and when I go to right click it, or say hit CTRL+C, and then I can't figure out why it won't work. Rire I'll sit here for like five minutes, getting really frustrated, then I realize what's going on. I have to remember to go to the Edit menu for that, or hit one of these:

⌘X for Cut
⌘V for Paste
⌘C for Copy

(For those of you unfamiliar with Macs, the Mac keyboard doesn't have a CTRL key, it has a Command Key, and ⌘ is the symbol for Command. The Command Key is also sometimes referred to as the Apple Key, since up until last year a picture of the Apple logo was on that key. The Alt Key is also called the Option Key, and it's just as important as the Command Key.)

One of my favorite things about my Mac is hearing this when it starts up. I love that! Très content I also love how I don't have to sit there and watch a screen showing that it's loading the OS like you have to with Windows. Yeah, it's still there, but it's only on the screen for about five seconds.

One of my other sisters ordered herself a Mac like mine last Friday for her birthday about two hours after mine came. She's excited about getting hers, too. She should have hers on Friday. It's really going to be a big upgrade for her, as the computer she has now has only ever run Windows 98 and it's the only computer she's ever had.

[/code]

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeverlyHillsChick wrote:
One of my favorite things about my Mac is hearing this when it starts up. I love that! Très content

There are various names for that start up sound...the "Choom", the "Power Chord". The sound indicates that diagnostic tests run immediately at start-up have found no hardware or fundamental software problems.

Glad you're enjoying your new Mac!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just had my first freeze. Hum...

I was booting the Mac up and it made the "choom" sound, we got to the white screen with the gray Apple logo and the little circle thingy with the spikes around it that changes colors while the OS is loading, and that stayed on for a few seconds longer than it should have, and then we made it to the blue transition screen and that was it. I had to do a hard reset on it to get it to come back up.

Other than that, no other major problems. Last night a guy from work who does PC repairs on the side asked me if I was now a "Mac Lover". I said "Yep, and I'm 'MAC' lovin' it!" Rire He thought that was a good term to use. Rire

Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great love story starts there Très content

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a week now. Sourire

I've figured out just about everything, and the keyboard doesn't bother me anymore. The mouse is still taking some getting used to, as it's one of the four button Apple Mighty Mice. (Mine is the wired one.) Those two buttons on the sides confuse me all the time, since I sometimes accidentally press one or the other while doing something, and then the screen gets dark or opens up Exposé. I'll be doing something, then all of a sudden the screen will get dark and then I realize I'm squeezing the buttons on the side of the mouse.

All in all, it's a good computer. I'd highly recommend it to anyone wanting to get a new computer that doesn't run Windows but is capable of doing so, if needed. Sourire

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to know everything's fine Sourire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Computer All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: