FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Going computer shopping tomorrow
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Going computer shopping tomorrow Reply with quote

I've found an iMac I'm interested in online and I'm going to the store in town tomorrow to check it out. If I like it, I might buy it. It's just your standard, run of the mill iMac with basic options (2 Gig memory, 500 Gig hard drive, standard mouse and keyboard, has iWork '08 preinstalled on it and the extended warranty.) I'm also going to go to Staples to determine if it'd be cheaper to just get the Office for Mac software rather than having them install iWork on it, because honestly, probably the only thing I'd ever use is the word processing software.

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Sourire I hope you'll find what you'll looking for Clin d'oeil

Don't forget to take pics for us if you buy it Bravo

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've officially made Steve Jobs a richer man! Rire

About two hours ago I took the plunge and ordered an iMac online. I'm now $1,481.88 in debt.

The decision to order online came after visiting two stores, the first one being an Apple reseller and the latter being an actual Apple store. The first one didn't have any computers you could actually look at and try out, and the last one had them, but they couldn't be custom-ordered like I wanted, but at least I actually got to look at a few and try them out. I fell in love! Rire I love the 20-inch screen with all its colors, I love how easy they are to move around in, I love the speed, I love the fact that it takes about five minutes to set the whole computer up as it only has four cords to it, I love that it's all one unit and takes up a lot less room, and I love that it's a stable system. Sourire

So after "test driving" a machine, I decided I really wanted one. I came home and ordered one right off of apple.com, which was a little cheaper than buying one from the store.

Here's all the specifications:

iMac with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Apple Keyboard
Accessory Kit
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM-2x1GB
Apple USB Modem
Apple Mighty Mouse
320 GB Serial ATA Drive

It also comes with Mac OS X Leopard, of course. Clin d'oeil

I even got to test drive Safari, which looks to be a much better browser than any of them I've used, including FireFox, IMO.

So now I'm just waiting for it to be built and shipped out. I should have it by the middle of next week, according to Customer Service. I'm looking forward to getting the computer, but not so much the credit card bill! Rire

Gee, after playing around on the computer in the store, Windows looks absolutely horrid!

I also picked the perfect time to switch OS's, too, since M$ officially discontinued XP on June 30th. (Go figure!)

Oh, and rest assured, Mac will not meet water! Rire I have no intentions of washing the machine like that! Rire

I'll take pictures for you guys and post them once I get everything and get it up and running. Sourire

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice. I've used Macs for ages, they last forever and they've never let me down. Très content
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll look into Mac, how do you guys feel about Dell? I'm planning on getting a laptop in a month or so with my education award from work and I plan on getting a laptop for school. Any ideas? I have only ever used Windows
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell is supposed to be really good, too, I just don't like that M$ stopped making Window$ XP. All new computers except for low-cost ones are now coming with Vista, and I don't much care for Vista, that's how come this time I went with a Mac. To me it looks like M$ tried to rip off the Mac OS X platform and it just didn't work for them. My niece has Vista on her computer, and it runs really slow and locks up and freezes all the time on her. My sister and my other niece (Her mom and her sister) each have Macs and they absolutely love them.

The one thing that's going to take some getting used to on the Mac is the buttons used for closing, maximizing and minimizing the windows are on opposite sides than they are on Window$. They're on the right hand side on Window$ and on the left hand side on Mac.

I'm cleaning up this computer and giving it to my mom. We have another older machine in the basement (A Gateway2000 P5-120 with Windows 95 on it. That thing's a dinosaur! Rire It was made back in 1995, so it's old for a computer!), and that's going to be gutted out and recycled since it's not much good for anything. This one's going down there in that one's spot, and the iMac is going here where this one currently sits. So I've got to start backing stuff up to CDs and getting it off of here. I think with the Gateway I'll just format the C drive and wipe it all out that way. It's not been used for at least three years now, so nobody's going to miss it. The only thing I'll miss about that computer is it has a kick-butt sound system. (It's got surround sound speakers and subwolfer. I'm almost wondering if I could just keep the speakers and subwolfer and connect them to this machine.) That was actually my first computer. My mom and dad got it for me for Christmas when I was in eighth grade in 1996. They bought it used from my mom's boss (It was only just a little over a year old when I got it) and they spent so much on it that they couldn't afford to buy anything else for Christmas, which I wish they wouldn't have done. That thing got me all the way through the rest of middle school, high school, and one year of college. Then came this thing, and now I'm on to something completely different.

Well, I guess I need to go start doing some computer cleaning now. Sourire

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Mac is just about on its way. I called Apple today and asked them to track my shipment over the phone, and the lady I spoke to was more than happy to do that for me. She pulled up my order number and said the machine's been built, and at last check at 10 AM this morning it was packed in its box and waiting for the truck to come and pick it up so it could begin its journey home. She said the truck would be there to pick it up today and I should have it by the middle of next week.

This is what the new iMacs look like for those of you who haven't seen them, and this is what I'm getting.

I dismantled the Gateway last night, but not without taking it for one last "ride". I was curious to see what still worked on it. Surprisingly the software and OS works great, much better than it does on this one, the hardware just didn't work so hot. The speakers and sound card are shot (Which is a shame, considering that was such an awesome sound system), the modem, which is external, doesn't work, as I found out when I tried to get the thing online so I could look up some information, and the keyboard sticks. The funny thing was when I booted it up last night, a warning from McAfee Virus Scan came up and said "Your virus protection is more than 49 months old. New viruses come out all the time, and it is recommended that you upgrade your software." Rire I had to laugh. I thought "Dude, if you were ever going to get a virus, now's the time to do it! You don't need virus protection where you're going!" Rire

In an earlier post I commented on how terrible Windows looks compared to what I saw on the iMacs, and now I've gotta say that after taking that thing apart last night that Windows 95 looks really shoddy compared to the rest of them! Embarassé [/img]

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say Windows 95 was my favorite when I was little. the only thing I hated was the internet ran so slow it took like 15 minutes to start up and then to get from one page to the next it took so long and not only that but it was dial up so it tied up the phone.
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I took apart the HP and cleaned it all out and gave it to my mom, even though I'm using it right now. I took the panel off of the side and took a blow dryer and vacuum cleaner to it and blew and sucked all the dust out of it, and believe me, there was a lot! Surpris I've cleaned it before, but today I found dust in places I didn't even know existed.

Now I just have to finish getting all of my files off of here.

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for you choice Sourire Seems to be quite a good computer Clin d'oeil

I think it's time for M$ to stop Windows XP Sourire It's an old software and we need to change Sourire

Don't forget to tell us when you'll have it Très content

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah!! I just checked the order status of it and according to FedEx I probably won't have it until next Monday because Friday was a holiday here! Triste I'm getting impatient because I've been waiting for it for almost a whole week and when I called Apple on Friday to check on it the girl said it'd probably be here by today or tomorrow because of the holiday. According to the FedEx website, the estimated delivery date is July 11th, but that's a Sunday and FedEx doesn't deliver on Sundays, so I'm thinking it's probably going to be Monday.

So here I am, all set and ready for it, anxious to try it out and see what that bad boy can do, and I have to wait because it's still sitting in Sacramento, California. Hum...

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience, patience. It will arrive soon enough. ^^

I know they are not computers, but I've been buying quite a few books lately on Amazon, and they are shipped to Mexico via Amazon's european distribution center in Germany, and in most cases (I'd say all cases lately, actually) the books have arrived several days before the estimated arrival date calculated by Amazon. So I guess that, if it is possible to buy merchandise overseas, have it clear customs in a country like Mexico and still be able to get it days before the estimated delivery date, it should be possible to get the same quick delivery when the merchandise comes from a domestic location, don't you think? ^^

Good luck with your comp, I really look forward to read your comments on it, I'm starting to consider a Mac myself... just for the heck of it. Tire la langue
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tracked it through the FedEx website, and when they last updated their site it was in Reno, Nevada and marked as "In transit". The whole package only weighs 25 lbs., and the monitor and tower on this thing weigh probably 30 lbs. apiece. That's not bad considering it's all one unit.

I went to the bookstore the other day and picked up some magazines that look they may be helpful. One of them is Macworld, which has got lots of good stuff in it and really interesting articles, and I like it so much I'm thinking of subscribing to it for $19.97 a year, and the other one is MacLife's "The Ultimate Mac How-To Handbook". I liked this one because it comes with a CD full of free software. (Not sure yet what's on it and if it's any good, but hey, it was free with the purchase of the magazine! Sourire )

Actually, Macs were the first computers I ever had any experience with as that's what they taught us how to use when I was in school. Just so you know how different this is going to be for me to switch, this is what I learned on. Now take into consideration that the last time I actually used a Mac was probably 9th grade and they ran on System 6.0 to 6.0.8L, and now I'm switching over to Mac OS X v10.6 (Leopard), and yeah, it's been awhile. From 9th grade all the way up to now I've only run Windows, so it'll be an interesting switch. I know I can load Windows on to my Mac, but:

1.) I don't like Vista, hence the reason why I'm getting a Mac, and I don't have any Windows installation CDs anymore. M$ also screwed this computer up when they released Service Pack 2 for XP, and now you can't play DVDs on here, and I was pretty upset with them when I called the support number to find out how to fix the problem and they basically told me it was my fault it got screwed up and I had to do something to screw it up. I felt like saying "Yeah, I installed your crummy software on my computer! Not only did I NOT want the software, you gave me no choice and I was forced to download and install it! If it wasn't your software that did it, how come everything worked great up until that was installed?

2.) It would take up more memory to put Windows on the Mac, and why do I need two OS's, anyway? Most software is compatible with Macs now, anyway, and I'm just using the thing at home for myself.

Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacOS X is really different from version below but it's a lot easier too Clin d'oeil

Monday you'll be a new mac user Tire la langue

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner than Monday, actually. The estimated delivery date is July 11th, and for some reason I thought Monday was the 11th, when Friday's the 11th and Monday's the 14th. Oops! So I've really only got one more day of waiting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Computer All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: