Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

El Tigre

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: El Tigre Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this?

I just stumbled on it (literally!) this weekend, and couldn't help but laugh at the references it makes; "Miracle City", with its smoking volcano, is definitely inspired on Mexico City. And I do know a couple of people who could fit in the character! XD

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone else has seen it and what you think of that series. Clin d'oeil
Zimfan101
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I couldn't even watch the entire show. The voices are was you high pitched and loud, and the dialogue is immature. Basically, it's just another post-1990's Nick show

Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Guess I benefited from having a dubbed version here. Rire
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on The iPod Observer:

Quote:
Fat Albert was a ground breaking cartoon on many levels. It was one of the first, if not the first, nationally televised cartoon to feature an all Black cast, but it's appeal reached across racial and cultural boundaries. Fat Albert and The Cosby Kids aired for 12 years before being syndicated, and you can still hear that "Hey, hey, HEY!" on Saturday mornings if you check around.

What was great about Fat Albert and his gang was that the situations they found themselves in and the issues they addressed were not Black situations or Black issues, everyone could relate. The lessons taught were just as meaningful to an Irish kid in the Bronx as they were to a kid in Chinatown.

There have been many cartoons since Fat Albert that featured racially diverse characters, but the new Nickelodeon cartoon, El Tigre, is, in some respect, like Fat Albert: Where the Cosby Kids are Black, the characters in El Tigre are all Hispanic. The Fat Albert gang's speech was lightly sprinkled with the urban-centric vernacular of the 70s, El Tigre's characters speak accented English laced with Spanish in places where what is said is obvious without translation.

Example: Manny's father, Roldolfo Rivera, walks in wearing vases instead of his Bronze Boots of Truth. Rodolfo greets his father, "Good Morning, Father."

Grandpapi Rivero, eying Roldolfo, says, "Buenos dias, Mejo. There is something different about you..."

(I guess you had to be there...)

The biggest similarities between the two shows, however, is how they both offer up life lessons disguised as fun. The Fat Albert cartoon addressed everything from being more accepting of differences, to study habits, to dealing with peer pressure. The writers of El Tigre appear to want to do the same thing, but the approach is totally different.

Fat Albert and crew dealt with life's issues amongst themselves and with Bill Cosby narrating the action. There was no violence and the humor was fairly tame. Still, at the end of the show a situation has been resolved and a lesson taught. Mr. Cosby's narration pretty much lays out what you should have learned, but you had fun anyway.

In the two-episode free iTunes Store download, Manny Rivero (aka El Tigre) steals his father's Bronze Boots of Truth (Sole of a Hero), and lies about what he did with the money his father gave him to buy guacamole (Night of the Living Guacamole). By the end of each episode Manny realizes the error of his ways and makes things right.

There's a lot of action crammed into the 10 minute episodes, so you really have to pay attention, but you walk away chuckling, never realizing that you've just been taught a lesson.

Like Fat Albert, I believe that El Tigre will appeal to everyone regardless of heritage. While embracing its ethnicity, El Tigre manages to entertain and teach, and in doing so, exposes us to cultures different than what we might be use to.

El Tigre is new, there are only 4 episodes, but if these are any indication of what's to come then all I can say is, "Viva El Tigre!"

Now, I'm not sure if I'd compare El Tigre with Fat Albert; I mean, I'm old enough to remember that show, and like they say in this article, the approach was quite different. But it was interesting to find this new show for several of the reasons mentioned here: it has action, it has situations and characters with a definite Hispanic flavor, it has a way to teach a lesson (which, in my opinion, should be done by all cartoons), and it is entertaining (another must). On the downside, the drawings and animations are quite... cartoony, if I may use that expression, and they tap on several ages-old stereotypes (you will hardly see people wearing big hats in Mexico City, unless they are traditional musicians); but the approach is refreshing and quite different.

I guess I'll try to watch it again, just to see if it confirms my first impressions on it; but I'm really curious to know what you guys think of this show.
avaitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoy what I've seen of it, fast-paced fun. But here's a read for you all.

http://seanszeles.blogspot.com/2007/10/el-tigre.html

"el tigre was doing pretty good in the ratings, but apparently didn't
live up to the top dog's ridiculously high expectations. Basically,
Spongebob, which has been on for years and years, and as you stated was
not a hit when it first premiered, is still doing better than el tigre
in the ratings. I don't know why, but they insist on comparing one with
the other, and el tigre loses. And even though everyone who watches it
likes it, and it just premiered very very well internationally, it
doesn't make a difference to them. They're just gonna keep churning out
show after show until they get something more popular than Spongebob,
but that will never happen. Just bad business. It's like in features
when people expect a movie to make 600 millions dollars, and it only
makes 300 million dollars, and they call it a failure."
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum. Pity. Guess I better set my VCR to tape this while it lasts.

On the bright side, a search for "el tigre" brought up quite a lot of artwork on DeviantArt:

http://search.deviantart.com/?section=browse&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5&q=%22el+tigre%22

Not bad for a show that has only been on the air this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Nickelodeon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: