NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Found a new job!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Found a new job! Reply with quote

With any luck I'll be saying "Adios amigos!" to Kmart in the very near future. Yesterday I agreed to take a job at TSC. For those of you unfamiliar with TSC, TSC is just an abbreviation for Tractor Supply Company, which is a chain of stores that sells mostly farming equipment, along with some home improvement items, pet food and livestock feed and apparell. Thursday is my first day. (Well, at least part of a day.) First I have to go in and fill out some paperwork, then I have to watch about four hours of videos and then I can start my register training. I'll start out as a part time cashier, but was told that after three months I could stand a very good chance at getting full time if I'd like it. They'll be able to give me more hours than what I'm getting at Kmart now and I'll get $.75 an hour more! Surpris Sourire

I think I'll like it over there more than I do at Kmart. Don't get me wrong, I love just about everyone I work with at Kmart, but the atmosphere of TSC just seems a little more relaxed. I'm really looking forward to not having to push credit card applications down people's throats and having a more relaxed dress code, which, at TSC, is basically no dress code. It's just jeans, t-shirts or sweatshirts and tennis shoes, whereas at Kmart it's red, white or black shirts, black dress pants (no black jeans are allowed) and black dress shoes.

When I got out of work today I went shopping for some new work clothes. I bought three new pairs of jeans and two t-shirts which are perfect for wearing to work at TSC because they go along with the whole farm theme. One has written on it "Gave him the boot", and has a picture of a pair of cowboy boots on it and the other one says "Looking for a stable guy" (think of horse stables) and has a picture of a cowboy on it. Rire

I'm really looking forward to this but I'm also nervous, too. I don't do well at being the new person. I always feel like I'm an outsider when I'm new to something like this. When I first started at Kmart it was horrible. For at least a week no one there would even so much as say hi to me, even though I tried to make friends with everyone. People (including customers) looked at me and talked to me like I was dumb because I didn't know or understand everything yet, and my third day of work a customer actually yelled at me for something that wasn't even my fault and I had no idea what to do. That's how come I always go out of my way to be nice to the new people and make friends with them, because I know how much it sucks to be the new person and feel like that. Hopefully everyone will be nice to me at my new job while I'm still getting used to everything. I may have to remind some of them (including customers) to please be gentle with me until I get used to everything.

Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Good luck with the new job!

Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is so cool. Anything is better then K. I finally got a job at Safeway and so far I love it.
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. I wish I could find something. There's not much about and there hasn't been much in a couple of years now. It seems to be getting harder and harder to find anything decent.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went in today and did my orientation, but I didn't get to fill out my paperwork or do my training. (I think the SM forgot I was coming today.) So I have to go back on Monday and do the paperwork and get a schedule for next week. I'm still putting in my two weeks at Kmart tomorrow, though, and I'll tell them there may be some days next week and the week after when I won't be able to come to work, provided they'll let me work the next two weeks.

Most of the stuff that was on the videos I watched today was pretty basic, common sense stuff, and a lot of it was the same as the videos we have to watch for Kmart, just for a different store. There were videos for how to sell items, suggestive selling, Right to Know, lifting, fork lift driving and Power Plus Plans. I was told to make sure I really understood how the Power Plus Plans work, but it's pretty simple because it's just their version of a Smart Plan. It covers the same types of things, except for customer abuse. The only difference is the Power Plus Plans are more expensive, which is understandable because TSC sells more expensive stuff than Kmart does.

Parts of the videos were pretty funny, though, mostly due to bad acting because they had actual TSC employees acting in them. The one I thought I was really funny, though, was the one about fork lift driving, namely the part about how you should only go so fast on a fork lift because they can be dangerous to drive and there is no need for "NASCAR fork lift driving." Rire LOL They also showed out takes at the end of the videos, showing how people had screwed up when they were making them. The one that was really funny out of those where they showed a guy who somehow tripped over something in the floor and fell into a box full of dog beds. He was kicking his legs and his arms were flailing around as he was laughing and trying to get out of the box, and a bunch of other associates were trying to help him get out of the box but they were laughing so hard they couldn't get him out, either.

Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Sourire Congrats for your new work Bravo

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous because I want to do a really good job because I was told that after my 90 days is up I could have a chance at a full time job if I've done good.

I'm going to actually be working with another person, too, which is cool because when I started at Kmart I only got just a few hours of register training, then I was left all by myself for two hours. (That was scary!) I get to work tomorrow morning so I can see what's done at opening, and again on Thursday so I can see what's done at closing.

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Sourire I'm sure everything will be fine Sourire

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was interesting. huh

I was there to open today, and the registers crapped out and wouldn't let anyone sign in on them, so I just had to watch the girl who was supposed to be training me all day. When something happens to the Kmart registers all you have to do is open the little door on the front panel and push the button to turn the register off and then push it again to make it come back up. Well, at TSC it's not that simple. You actually have to call someone who's somewhere else and they have to reboot them remotely. Embarassé For an hour and a half we had no registers and we had to write down all the UPC numbers and prices of products, then add everything up on a calculator, figure in the sales tax and then tell the customer how much everything was. Then we had to write down their method of payment on the same paper we had figured out their total on. If it was cash, we'd write "cash", then the amount and how much change we owed them. If it was credit, we had to write down the total, the account number on the card and the type of card, along with the expiration date. If it was check, we had to write down the total, the check number and the customer's driver's license number. The girl who was training me felt so bad because she really wanted me to learn how to use the register but she couldn't teach me anything because of them being down. It was finally fixed at about 10:15, when I only had 45 minutes left. Hopefully they'll be working right on Thursday, the next time I go in, because I'd feel more comfortable if I could get some hands-on experience.

Everything is really different, though. It's definitely going to take some getting used to! However, the other associates are really nice and they actually talked to me, unlike most of the associates at my Kmart who wouldn't say anything to me for the first week I was there. It also helped that I wasn't the only newbie today. Today was the first day for another associate, too. Sourire

My last week of work at the K might be this week. Triste I'll find out on Thursday. They told me they needed my next week's schedule for TSC today, and I wasn't able to get it to them because it's not out yet. That's why on Thursday when I have to work at TSC I'll go in early to see if I can get a schedule. If they can give me one, great. If not, that's OK too. If I can get a schedule, I'll take it to Kmart and see what they can do with it, and if not, I'll still go over there and tell them I was unable to get one and I'll just give my hours away for next week and make this week my last week.

I actually really hate to be leaving, though. There's a lot of people there I'm going to really miss. Triste I can still go in to see them, though. What's funny is now we won't be coworkers, but in a sense we'll be neighbors. My TSC store is right behind my Kmart store, and the parking lots connect, so I'm within walking distance. Rire

I just wish it didn't have to be this way, though. Management's upset that I'm leaving them because I was one of the better employees, but you know what? They had their chance. I kept telling them I was interested in a full time position if it became available, which it did, and they chose to give it to someone else who has had no experience working in that department when I have, and they decided to give me 15 hours a week. That's an insult. It's like saying "Thanks for all your hard work over the last two years. Thanks for giving up whole nights, weekends and days to come in and help out when we were short handed. It means nothing."

Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a little difficult to leave a job and all the people we worked with, but I'm sure you're making the right choice Sourire Sometimes when your boss can't hear you, it's better to go elsewhere Clin d'oeil

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a job anywhere! Our job centres are pretty useless, as often they give references for jobs that don't actually exist.
Once these exams are over, I'm gonna have to look even harder. It seems most people just get jobs from their friends, so I'll need to do the same.

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well two places I worked for don't exist anymore and what I don't get is how can you get a reference from a head office. They don't even know you or what you worked like. Also with references you used to be able to give one personal and one employment based but now it's both employment based, one of which must be your present/previous employer. Another problem is when an ex employer says that you can use them and it's a while from when they said and you fill in an app you don't know if they've moved or not sometimes. Talking of references I had a bad form one time, where they didn't want personal references, but can you believe credit references Surpris. Another thing is that the content of application forms and cvs/resumes seems to keep changing. A couple of years ago employers wanted cv's, cover letters and application forms. Now they want a cover letter and an application form or a cv (not both together). Also the size and content of application forms and cv's has changed over the years i.e. got smaller. When my dad did his cv for his current job where he still is, it was more like a lifestory book now mine is about one page with not much past job detail. Anyway I saw a job which is 45 hours a week working anywhere from 9am-12am, which I was thinking of going for. I then had a think last night and I don't think I'm nor my body will be able to cope and I've just realised it's 6 out of 7 days a week also. Evenings and nights might also be a problem because if it is where I think it is the buses are not very reliable and you can't get a bus say after about 11.30pm. Taxis could become quite expensive if it's regularly. I've never done quite that many hours before and I've been out of work for a while also. There is another job I've seen which is 7 mornings a fortnight (8.45-2.45) working alternate weekends which I presume is 3 days the 4 days then 3... I think I'd find that slightly easier and less demanding. I just need to see where it is because if it's more than a certain distance or outside town Sundays could be a problem getting there.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
sarah

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with new jobs and job searches, everyone.

You could come to Ann Arbor and work for Google - they just moved in an advertising/marketing team. Sourire

jadeflower82
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new job opportunity. Très content

The Madison area is bone dry for jobs right now. Companies in the area are actually going elsewhere because property taxes and starting wages here are so high, and it's much easier to take it South. The place my mom worked three years for recently did that, the company---Certegy--was bought out by [In]Fidelity and then shut down, sending the remains of operation to its other two branches in St. Pete's Florida and Little Rock, Arkansas because it was cheaper to hire workers. The decision is apparently starting to backfire, the branch in St. Pete's might be shut down within the next year or so. The lack of a job market is just one of the reasons why we're moving away from the area. That--and it's getting to be too pricey in this neck of the woods. Triste
~Mara

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
---Martin Luther King, Jr.
albereseanes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are disallowed from maintaining pay or challenging charges from employees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: