FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

WTF?! Mike2000 is a victim of Viacom.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ottoman
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: WTF?! Mike2000 is a victim of Viacom. Reply with quote

I went today on my site, Rocket Power Heat, to check out Mike's tribute to Rocket Power, but Viacom asks Youtube to take it down, due to copyright claim. This BS has to end. It was a tribute to one of the greatest shows ever to air on TV, IMO, and they had zero right to take that down. What's next, they're going to say they own my site and take it down?! This madness has to stop!

Thanks to all that supported my site for 7 years, I hope to see you at my site, rocketpowerheat.tripod.com! Sourire Très content
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DenisAndrejev
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... But how?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tommy_baby
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite easy. Give it a different name, secret code sort of thing. Viacom would never know what it is!

Recovering n00b. Seriously, what was I on in 2006-8?
Zimfan101
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that to. Viacom didn't delete the ones that didnt have nickelodeon in the name.

Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a badly needed clarification. I am not personally a victim of Viacom; my video, like the rest of the 100,000 videos removed from Youtube, was taken down because of the general claim made by Viacom to Youtube to remove all videos containing copyrighted material belonging to them. Since my video was made up of small shots taken from several Rocket Power episodes, and it was clearly stated in the description fields that it was a tribute to Nickelodeon's Rocket Power, it fell automatically in the category in discussion. Videos not correctly labeled might still exist there, but that doesn't mean they are any safer.

The core of this controversy lies on how copyright laws are interpreted, and particularly how the "fair use" of copyrighted material affects the potential market of the copyright owners. You can find more information on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

I quote from that article: "...a book reviewer who quotes a paragraph as an example of the author's style will probably fall under fair use even though he may sell his review commercially. But a non-profit educational website that reproduces whole articles from technical magazines will probably be found to infringe if the publisher can demonstrate that the website affects the market for the magazine, even though the website itself is non-commercial..."

This is basically what happened in this case. As long as Viacom and Youtube / Google can't reach an agreement on the way Viacom will share the potential profits of advertising resulting from the videos hosted on YT that feature its copyrighted material, it won't be legal for Youtube to host any kind of material there featuring Viacom's shows. Period.

Aaron, I know this is only BS to you, and that you are really pissed, but this is something with which you, me, and every single user that accepts the terms and conditions of use of Internet sites, are bound to obey. And Youtube is not an innocent dove, either; it is a commercial site owned by a company that profits from advertising on it, and they do have the technology to post content-specific ads right by the videos hosted there. So they could earn money from the work of others, without them needing to move a single finger; the users that post the videos actually do the dirty job by categorizing, describing and defining keywords!!!

Just to put it in perspective, let's say that you stumble upon a site that actually sells copies of the deathmatches you've worked so hard and for so long to create for your site. Of course you wouldn't like it, and the fact that this site actually profits from your work without sharing that money with you, would only add insult to injury.

As long as you don't profit from the material posted in your site, and it doesn't become a commercial site, you don't have to worry much about this whole thing.
tommy_baby
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could just post it as HiT's! They don't give a stuff about copywrite! Rire

Seriously, why not try Megaupload?

idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as I've said before it's not just Nickelodeon/Viacom, it's most of the other networks also.

Mike2000 wrote:
I quote from that article: "...a book reviewer who quotes a paragraph as an example of the author's style will probably fall under fair use even though he may sell his review commercially. But a non-profit educational website that reproduces whole articles from technical magazines will probably be found to infringe if the publisher can demonstrate that the website affects the market for the magazine, even though the website itself is non-commercial..."

This reminds me of a course I did at college where we were supposed to use quotes as reference with our coursework, reports and observations to show that we understood, did our research and to use as evidence. However we had to put the quotes in "" and we had to name all the people who were involved in the books for example if Joe Bloggs wrote a book we had to write the "quote" and put the authors name and if there were about five or so people's names mentioned in the book then we'd have to say Joe Bloogs, John Smith et. al.

Mike2000 wrote:
the users that post the videos actually do the dirty job by categorizing, describing and defining keywords!!!

Like the person or persons who keep clogging up the searches with descriptions that say something like: "this has nothing to do with..." and then there's a list of 50 or so different things.

Mike2000 wrote:
Just to put it in perspective, let's say that you stumble upon a site that actually sells copies of the deathmatches you've worked so hard and for so long to create for your site. Of course you wouldn't like it, and the fact that this site actually profits from your work without sharing that money with you, would only add insult to injury.

As long as you don't profit from the material posted in your site, and it doesn't become a commercial site, you don't have to worry much about this whole thing.

Agreed, but it is a pain when it's a clip from a show or something from a network you have to subscribe to to even watch a television (i.e. BBC, that money grabbing greedy bunch) and the show you can't even watch again. I can see posting videos just so others can see them who never saw then the first time and will never see them otherwise perhaps because they live abroad and can't get the channel.

I like the network who posts short clips though themselves. Now why can't the other networks do the same or atleast do similar to ITunes and make full episodes available at a small price or just stream them.

And yes I did see all this coming when I did mention something like a warning in another thread about posting some Youtube links months ago.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
knoodelhed
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help but agree. As long as TVL is banging on people's doors, the Beeb is a special case... is fair game, afaic.
tommy_baby
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems perfectly alright to post TTTE&F stuff up there, why not Nick stuff as well?

bradclarke
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here the deal, Viacom has the right to take it down because they own the show.

See I used to run a simpsons site, but FOX tried to sue me last year for 2.7Million Dollars, Obviously My Company does not have that money, So I complied with the C&D order, I offered episodes downloads, But I guess there gonna be selling episodes on itunes which is why they tried to sue me. The point is, there not gonna make you take down a little geoshittys site, yahoo doesn't respond to there own customer emails, there not gonna respond to fox, or viacom for that matter.

If you owned a .com domain and the site got to big, I was giving 60,000 download a day fro episodes, once it gets out of hand they try to sue you.

Anyways if this mike guy wants to still offer rocket power episodes, he can if he buys web hosting, he can put anything he wants on his own site, just remember when you buy a domain, do not put any of your real info, which is what i did.

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradclarke wrote:
...if this mike guy wants to still offer rocket power episodes...

This Mike guy has never offered rocket power episodes, or for that matter, any episodes online. Period. What's more, those who know me know that I am against piracy (which, BTW, is what you do by offering full downloads, bradclarke.)

What I did was a home-made video in my computer, putting together clips and stills from several episodes and adding background music to it. It was more than anything an exercise to see how the video editing software worked. And I only posted it because I was almost sure it was in accordance with the rules of "fair use", that I've time and again mentioned here. Now, if it isn't deemed suitable by Viacom, I'm fine with it. I'm not gonna post it again, ANYWHERE, even though I really doubt they actually watched it; all the segments were less than 10 seconds long, had the station bug on the lower right corner, and were recorded in such a low resolution that you would hardly recognize the characters if you watched the video full-screen. No; like I said, Viacom requested all videos related to their copyrighted stuff removed, and Youtube complied... pretty much in the same spirit as you did when Fox asked you to cease and desist. It's not because someone made a fan video with segments of the eps, it's because things were getting out of control and users were actually violating the law by uploading episodes.

As for those who have suggested alternate sites to post videos, let me remind you that those sites are also under the same copyright laws as Youtube, and will most likely be audited by the networks soon. So, if you want to get in trouble for copyright violations, be my guests; I'm personally getting tired of all this whining about how unfair it is from the copyright owners to protect their property.

Sorry if I sound rude.
tommy_baby
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't rude at all. Sourire

bradclarke
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike2000 wrote:
bradclarke wrote:
...if this mike guy wants to still offer rocket power episodes...

This Mike guy has never offered rocket power episodes, or for that matter, any episodes online. Period. What's more, those who know me know that I am against piracy (which, BTW, is what you do by offering full downloads, bradclarke.)

What I did was a home-made video in my computer, putting together clips and stills from several episodes and adding background music to it. It was more than anything an exercise to see how the video editing software worked. And I only posted it because I was almost sure it was in accordance with the rules of "fair use", that I've time and again mentioned here. Now, if it isn't deemed suitable by Viacom, I'm fine with it. I'm not gonna post it again, ANYWHERE, even though I really doubt they actually watched it; all the segments were less than 10 seconds long, had the station bug on the lower right corner, and were recorded in such a low resolution that you would hardly recognize the characters if you watched the video full-screen. No; like I said, Viacom requested all videos related to their copyrighted stuff removed, and Youtube complied... pretty much in the same spirit as you did when Fox asked you to cease and desist. It's not because someone made a fan video with segments of the eps, it's because things were getting out of control and users were actually violating the law by uploading episodes.

As for those who have suggested alternate sites to post videos, let me remind you that those sites are also under the same copyright laws as Youtube, and will most likely be audited by the networks soon. So, if you want to get in trouble for copyright violations, be my guests; I'm personally getting tired of all this whining about how unfair it is from the copyright owners to protect their property.

Sorry if I sound rude.

also its not all because of viacom, it can be just because some user reported it for copyright (very easy todo, you dont even have to email), and youtube knows there in trouble with viacom, so youtube just doesn't want to get sued so they listen to big company's now like they are there slaves

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most companies requested youtube to delete copyrighted medias. You can think it's unfair but this site is now owned by google and I guess they do not want to get in trouble Clin d'oeil

Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness Thomas isn't fussed.

Did I say Thomas? I meant TUGS...hehe...ugh...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Nickelodeon All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: