RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Viacom vs YouTube - there's more than meets the eye

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Viacom vs YouTube - there's more than meets the eye Reply with quote

Hope this helps explain what's going on with that site. Like I've said in several threads, I saw this coming - after all, we are talking about episodes or segments of episodes still copyrighted and owned by Viacom. But apparently they are not the only network throwing blows at YouTube; this could become a new Napster episode.

IMO these articles explain clearly what's behind the removal of about 100,000 videos from YouTube, including all Rocket Power, MLAATR, and other Nickelodeon-based flics:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/09/technology/media_youtube/?postversion=2007020915

Also read:

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/interactive/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003541305
tommy_baby
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again. Pfff

Recovering n00b. Seriously, what was I on in 2006-8?
knoodelhed
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a battle; it's a war, and it anin't gonna be over as soon as anyone might prefer. Already I located some Hey Arnold! eps with a few hundred hits each, probable reuploads on new accounts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DenisAndrejev
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good think Viacom doesn't bully Retro Junk! Sourire

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
avaitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Viacom is evil,i moved on to www.daliymotion.com and www.guba.com .
ottoman
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm waging war on Viacom, as we speak! Fier They are just evil, and need to be put in their place. We will not be had by another billion dollar company who wants to take off fan-related stuff, just because they want to protect their damn copyright.

Thanks to all that supported my site for 7 years, I hope to see you at my site, rocketpowerheat.tripod.com! Sourire Très content
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as bad as the BBC (UK) you have to give them money just so that you can watch a television in each residence in Britain (just because they don't fill their channels with ads and so that gives you longer viewing time without the constant breaks about every 5-10 minutes). Also every time you buy a new television you have to give the store all your details. And then they stamp down on what you watch just so they can also protect their own copywrite. What annoys me is that you have to pay them even if you never even watch any of their channels.

I can see and agree with copywrites, but it really annoys me when it's at the expense of raking money out of poor people (like the elderly, who rely on their teles) just to make themselves even more richer. And then you get bombarded by repeats more than half the time it seems.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
ottoman
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I'm fighting this war. It's about keeping their billions and billions of dollars at the expense of fans.

Thanks to all that supported my site for 7 years, I hope to see you at my site, rocketpowerheat.tripod.com! Sourire Très content
knoodelhed
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they don't seem overly interested in putting their property to work, which should be the whole reason behind protection of copyright, right? This whole issue demonstrates that there's a market for the content. A sensible option would be to offer paid downloads through iTunes of the ENTIRE Nick catalogue, or to make dvd's to order available throgh an online distributor. Clin d'oeil They have more to gain by putting their property to work than by engaging in tactics of intimidation.
bradclarke
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenisAndrejev wrote:
Good think Viacom doesn't bully Retro Junk! Sourire

Viacom will only care if its a popular site, since they can sue them and actually get some money, also more people will see the pirated clips on bigger sites, if its a smaller site they wont care unless it gets out of hand

Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm convinced! *Jumps on the I hate Viacom wagon*.

But seriously, wars can cause pain. Lots and lots of pain. Be prepared for a lot of frustration, because Viacom won't stop being idiots without a fight.

(Should we name this Youtube War One, then?)

Recovering n00b. Seriously, what was I on in 2006-8?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Nickelodeon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: