NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

The "12" planets?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superyo wrote:
...I don't know how to use it to remember the planet name...

Just look at the first letter in every line, Superyo. It's also the first letter of each planet name. Clin d'oeil
Tom
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only mnemonic I knew for the planets was:

My
Very
Easy
Method
Just
Speeds
Up
Naming
Planets

idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is a lot easier to remember and a lot more straight forward. I'm sure we did do a mneumonic, but I can't remember it. Or maybe it was just for the rainbow spectrum. I'm sure we did do one for the planets though, which I think might have had an s on the end or maybe it was for something else. Now I do wish that I kept all my school books, but they might just be around somewhere though. I remember making a space booklet which something might be in there and hopefully I still have it around.

Hey I've just noticed that the order has the SUN in it!

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idoodley0181 wrote:
Hey I've just noticed that the order has the SUN in it!

Wow I have never noticed that before Rire
Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pluto's not a planet anymore Triste Those dumb scientists just changed the rules so Pluto couldn't be a planet anymore! Fou Its so stupid it has been a planet for so long and all the sudden they change everything we have learned Pleure ?

Quote:
PRAGUE, Czech Republic - Pluto, beloved by some as a cosmic underdog but scorned by astronomers who considered it too dinky and distant, was unceremoniously stripped of its status as a planet Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The International Astronomical Union, dramatically reversing course just a week after floating the idea of reaffirming Pluto's planethood and adding three new planets to Earth's neighborhood, downgraded the ninth rock from the sun in historic new galactic guidelines.

Powerful new telescopes, experts said, are changing the way they size up the mysteries of the solar system and beyond. But the scientists showed a soft side, waving plush toys of the Walt Disney character and insisting that Pluto's spirit will live on in the exciting discoveries yet to come.

"The word 'planet' and the idea of planets can be emotional because they're something we learn as children," said Richard Binzel, a professor of planetary science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who helped hammer out the new definition.

"This is really all about science, which is all about getting new facts," he said. "Science has marched on. ... Many more Plutos wait to be discovered."

Pluto, a planet since 1930, got the boot because it didn't meet the new rules, which say a planet not only must orbit the sun and be large enough to assume a nearly round shape, but must "clear the neighborhood around its orbit." That disqualifies Pluto, whose oblong orbit overlaps Neptune's, downsizing the solar system to eight planets from the traditional nine.

Astronomers have labored without a universal definition of a planet since well before the time of Copernicus, who proved that the Earth revolves around the sun, and the experts gathered in Prague burst into applause when the guidelines were passed.

Predictably, Pluto's demotion provoked plenty of wistful nostalgia.

"It's disappointing in a way, and confusing," said Patricia Tombaugh, the 93-year-old widow of Pluto discoverer Clyde Tombaugh.

"I don't know just how you handle it. It kind of sounds like I just lost my job," she said from Las Cruces, N.M. "But I understand science is not something that just sits there. It goes on. Clyde finally said before he died, 'It's there. Whatever it is. It is there.'"

The decision by the IAU, the official arbiter of heavenly objects, restricts membership in the elite cosmic club to the eight classical planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

Pluto and objects like it will be known as "dwarf planets," which raised some thorny questions about semantics: If a raincoat is still a coat, and a cell phone is still a phone, why isn't a dwarf planet still a planet?

NASA said Pluto's downgrade would not affect its $700 million New Horizons spacecraft mission, which this year began a 9 1/2-year journey to the oddball object to unearth more of its secrets.

But mission head Alan Stern said he was "embarrassed" by Pluto's undoing and predicted that Thursday's vote would not end the debate. Although 2,500 astronomers from 75 nations attended the conference, only about 300 showed up to vote.

"It's a sloppy definition. It's bad science," he said. "It ain't over."

The shift also poses a challenge to the world's teachers, who will have to scramble to alter lesson plans just as schools open for the fall term.

"We will adapt our teaching to explain the new categories," said Neil Crumpton, who teaches science at a high school north of London. "It will all take some explanation, but it is really just a reclassification and I can't see that it will cause any problems. Science is an evolving subject and always will be."

Under the new rules, two of the three objects that came tantalizingly close to planethood will join Pluto as dwarfs: the asteroid Ceres, which was a planet in the 1800s before it got demoted, and 2003 UB313, an icy object slightly larger than Pluto whose discoverer, Michael Brown of the California Institute of Technology, has nicknamed "Xena." The third object, Pluto's largest moon, Charon, isn't in line for any special designation.

Brown, whose Xena find rekindled calls for Pluto's demise because it showed it isn't nearly as unique as it once seemed, waxed philosophical.

"Eight is enough," he said, jokingly adding: "I may go down in history as the guy who killed Pluto."

Demoting the icy orb named for the Roman god of the underworld isn't personal it's just business said Jack Horkheimer, director of the Miami Space Transit Planetarium and host of the PBS show "Star Gazer."

"It's like an amicable divorce," he said. "The legal status has changed but the person really hasn't. It's just single again."

idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so now the school physics books will all have to be re-written. Why can't the scientists just leave things the way they are Hum....

The board waffler!!
sp0ng3b0b182

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Pluto 1930-2006 Triste

It should be a planet!

Tom
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww. I wonder how Pluto would feel about this, god of the underworld... I wonder if he shall smite whoever made this decision! Somehow I expect this change will not go indebted for a long while.

Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2015 New Horizons sattelite will reach Pluto and photograpgh it, and then we'll know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cnickfan56
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp0ng3b0b182 wrote:
RIP Pluto 1930-2006 Triste

It should be a planet!

Pluto isn't gone, it's just downgraded to a "dwarf planet"
Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know that but it still isn't part of our little planets anymore
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic with a little bit http://news.uk.msn.com/good_week_bad_week_250806.aspx?imageindex=7#838584 It looks like the person who wrote the text isn't too impressed, but sympathetic... to poor pluto anyway!

The board waffler!!
Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, these idiots that think Pluto isn't a planet and would ruin every textbook just to get their thoughts heard are gonna be proven wrong when New Horizons reaches Pluto in 2015.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Pluto will probebly be as big as Saturn! HAHA wouldn't that be great our dinky planet isn't so dinky after all and proves those brainys wrong Rire . I can't wait till the probe gets there i really want to see what Pluto looks like
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been trying to watch a little bit of The Sky at Night, a UK program on BBC4, but gave up after I didn't get much of it! they were trying to explain how they class a planet, dwarf planet and such and about the possible future planets. It included about Pluto and one of the guys saying that it definately is not a proper planet and they were talking about Marsion winters.

The board waffler!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: