NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

UK be warned, the EMO CULT will get you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: UK be warned, the EMO CULT will get you! Reply with quote

This was in our newspapers last week. Next to reports on the war in Lebanon and news on that volcano that erupted was the following:

Quote:
[...]

There is a also a term which is new to me and amounts to a much more dangerous teenage cult.

The Emos - short for Emotional - regard themselves as a cool, young sub-set of the Goths.

[...]

Emos exchange competitive messages on their teenage websites about the scars on their wrists and how best to display them.

[...]

The internet has many sites dedicated to Emo fashion (dyed black hair brushed over your face, layering, black, black, black), Emo bands (Green Day, My Chemical Romance), Emo conversation (sighing, wailing, poetry).

[...]

The Emo song, by the American band Adam And Andrew, has cult status on the internet, appearing on many personal websites. It is called Dear Diary and is both witty and alarming.

The chorus goes: 'Stop my breathing and slit my throat, I must be an Emo. I don't jump around when I go to shows, I must be an Emo. Dye in my hair and polish on my toes, I must be an Emo. I play guitar and write suicide notes, I must be an Emo.' The courting of misery and death is a long-established teenage tradition. How many bedroom walls have been plastered with posters of drippy pre-Raphaelite heroines, or Marc Bolan or Kurt Curbain?

When death is a long way off, you can afford to be more morbid about it.

Film-makers note that horror films are now more popular than romance among young women.

In particular, Goths and Emos are a rebellion against sporty, manly cultures - which is perhaps why they flourish particularly in North European countries or North America.

The androgynous nature of the Goths is appealing to the young because it is sexually unthreatening.

Teenage girls are frightened of manliness: they like boys who look like girls.

[...]

One of the most annoying characteristics of teenagers is their refusal to open their curtains. Their world is dark and airless.

If this environment is coupled with the psychological traits of self-pity, introspection, self-dramatisation and hormone imbalance, you have a fully-fledged Emo, even without the small Tshirt and black hair.

Wow, I didn't know newspapers published mindless, drivelling, livejournal-worthy *% like this. And here's The Independent's guide to everything you must like to be an non-conforming emo:

Quote:
Films: Donnie Darko, Brick, Ghost World, The Libertine, Pirates of the Caribbean 1 (but not 2), The Ring (the original Japanese version), The Lost Boys, The Notorious Bettie Page, The Omen, The Nightmare Before Christmas, A Clockwork Orange

Bands: The Horrors, My Chemical Romance, Funeral for a Friend, Alkaline Trio, Dirty Pretty Things

Tv Series: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alias, Six Feet Under, Kingdom Hospital

Goth Fashion: Pussie-bow blouses (and that's just the boys), drainpipe jeans, band T-shirts, winklepicker shoes, biker boots or Doc Martens, ripped jumpers, jet-black or peroxide-blond hair, lace, hoodies and rucksacks, tons of mascara and mushroom-cloud hair

Venues: 100 Club, London; Junk Club, Southend; Astoria, London; Lady Luck Club, London; Victorian churchyards

Musical Influences: Fifties surf, Sixties garage and psychedelia, Eighties UK indie, Nineties grunge

Shopping: Camden Market in London; Oxfam and Laurence Corner (cheap); Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen and John Galliano (couture)

Heroes: Rochester, Byron, Screaming Lord Sutch, Marilyn Manson

Heroines: Angelina Jolie, Buffy, Milla Jovovich, Dita Von Teese (Manson's wife)

Literature: John Webster, Aubrey Beardsley, Shelley (Mary and Percy)

And for those here who have opinions and want to share them, there's also this. I thank Popjustice, in part, for this post. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off now, to apparently draw my curtains shut and switch back on my Panic! At The Disco CD whilst staring at my self in a mirror.

No, really.

(Edited by azumanga: Changed spelling in original article due to profanity filter issues.)

DesperateEmo
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daily Mail. Pfff

And Green Day aren't emo! Mindless cunts.

Last edited by DesperateEmo on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bearbear
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, they know nothing of emo.

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Now there's an understatement!

avaitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God.Dumbasses.Emo is..eh,what's the point?Everything worth saying about that letter has been said,execpt that emo's are fags,and are in no relation to the good Gothic name.
DesperateEmo
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? A fag? Well duh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: