NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

My Grandmother's In the Hospital

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarjar23
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: My Grandmother's In the Hospital Reply with quote

Well, she's had breathing problems for the past 4 years or so and it only recently caught up with her. So last week, she "couldn't breath", so my uncle (who was there at the time) called the ambulence and took her away to the hospital where she's been for a week. Tonight, my dad and I went to see her there for the first time since she went, and I honestly had no idea what to expect (my grandfather didn't know how she was becuase my uncles "haven't told him anything" and he really doesn't feel confortable going to the hospital byhimself). I was saying to myslef that I should NOT be nervous and to just be myself when I go in. So, she's in "intensive care" and we go up to her room. All I knew was that they had a tube in her throat helping her breath and giving her medication. So we walk in, and there was a nurse in there doing something , and she noticed we were there and said "Looks like you have some visitors", so she left us alone and walked out. So, my dad went to talk to the nurse as I walked up to my grandmother. In all honesty, she didn't look too good at all. She couldn't talk, so I had to figure out what to talk to her about. So I grabbed a chair and held her hand. It is EXTREMLY difficlut to just ramble on and on without the person being able to talk back to you...and it made me feel really bad. But, I just kept talking and smiling and she did doze off on me, but my dad told me it was the medication they were giving her to relax her lungs. So I sat there for about 15 minutes just holding her hand and smiling at her if she woke up. I knew that it would make her feel better if I didn't look worried or felt bad. When I was sitting there, I noticed how many MACHINES were beside her...So much stuff was going on at once. When she was sleeping, it was hard to see her like that, becuase I am REALLY close to her and how she used to be so active and then to see her pretty much helpless in a bed, with a tube down her throat not being able to speak was pretty bad. And, like I said, it was the first time I had ever been in the intesive care part of the hospital, so to be honest I was a little shaken walking out of the place. I didn't talk to my dad (he was trying to make me laugh and cheer me up coming out of the hospital, which was nice of him). I'm just hoping whatever is wrong with her gets fixed and she can go back home in peace and I can talk to her again and we can joke about how awkward it was in the hospital trying to talk to her or whatever. So, this post is long enough...The wierd thing is is that I do usually call her house about 3 times a week to check up on things, and I hadn't talked to her in A WHILE (about 2 weeks) and I finally decided to call the house last week and I got no answer only the message machine, so I left a message to give me a call back when they got a chance...but I later found out that night that that they decided to call the ambulence about an hour before I called. I felt bad after that, but I told her when i saw her tonight that I finally got to talk and see her after so long. Sourire
aurora_rose
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow, i hope she'll be alright. i'll keep her in my prayers.

KT Kore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blows dude. I definitely hope things end well for her.

Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope she will be ok when my dad has his asthma problems he could be in the hospital for a week it gets me everytime i hate seeing my dad in the hospital but i know he is being taken care of and will be alright. This usually happens every year.
knoodelhed
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your grandmother will do well. It sounds like they are doing all that they need to do, and more, to take care of her.

You are a good grandson, better in some ways than I've been. I'm pretty sure it meant the world to her just to have you holding her hand for a little bit. The importance of mere human contact, in conjunction with the standard medical practices, can make a powerful difference when it comes to issues of survival. You should continue to visit her at the next opporunity. Sourire
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
superyo
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope she'll be fine again soon Sourire

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your grandmother does okay and gets better. My aunt has asthma and has got emphacaemia (sp?) which she's not doing very well.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
sarah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emphysema? My roommate's grandpa has had a long battle with that and still refuses to bring his oxygen tank around with him most of the time. He wants to maintain his pride.

Jarjar, it's always tough to be in the hospital with someone really close to you, but it sounds like you handled it pretty well. All my best for your grandma's recovery.

rioothello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she have emphesema?
jarjar23
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I get into details, I wanted to let you know that two days ago, my uncle (who has spent a few ngihts at the hosptal with her) said she was doing ALOT better and that they had the tube out and she was talking. When my sister told me he was at the door, my heart dropped because I honestly thought for the worst (with him coming to the house personally). But, he was VERY glad she was OK and she just wanted to tell us the good news in person. She does need to stay in the hospital for a few more nights just for obsevation, but she'll be back in a few days / maybe is already back home right now. haven't called since yesterday. Offcourse, I was going to call now, but I can't find my stupid cell phone (I may have left it at a house I stayed at two nights ago).

Thanks for the concern, guys. It really did make me feel a little better about the situation. To answer the question and a little background notes - yup, she does have emphesema and requires the use of oxygen most of the time (the two tubes you put in your nose. She's was always a smoker and was a TB patient back in her early 20s and ended up losing alot of lung captivity during that time. She quit smoking in 1997 when she caught pnemonia and almost died. She got better and everything was fine until about 4 years ago, when my cousin was having a wedding out of state and we all had to fly out - we were in the airport, that was the first time I ever saw her with the oxygen. Offcourse she hardly didn't need to use it at the time, it was basically for when she was riding on the plane. She still goes out to stores and stuff, but she needs the oxygen now, no matter what. Especially during the hot, humid days.
KT Kore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Really good stuff.

idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah glad shes doing better Sourire. My aunt has never smoked as far as I'm aware of but has as I've said had asthma. I don't know how long she's had asthma for but as far as I'm aware she's had it for a very long time maybe all her life. A few years ago before she was diagnosed with emthasema she was on one type of medication and her asthma was still quite bad and appeared to be getting worse. I think she then had a different doctor or nurse who decided that she needed her medication changed and after she was a lot better. She hasn't had emthasema very long though. My dad and I would like to see her but time, finances and a place to stay for us both are restricted. I think my Granddad who lives not far from her is still in hospital I think, so that's another reason why we'd like to go also.

The hot weather and pollution don't help. She lives in Manhattan New York.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
aurora_rose
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad things are going well. hope things go better for your aunt as well, idoodley.

jarjar23
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad and I went to visit her in the hospital tonight. When we got there, we met my uncle, his wife and my cousin and his wife. They were just getting thereselves situated outside when we walked up. It was unplanned, so it was a nice suprise to see them (haven't seen them in a while). She was so glad to see all of us there and said it was a real nice suprise. We all talked and joked for a while and my dad and I caught up with my other relatives that were. It was a nice little "reunion", I guess you can say. A funny thing was was that my grandmother told me that the had no rememberence of what I had said to her the last time we were there. As a matter of fact, I don't think she even knew that we visited until someone told her. They had so many muscle relaxers in her that she was completely out of it, lol. And I was beating myself up, trying to make sure that I kept talking and making her feel normal and she doesn't remember a thing about it, haha. She said they want to keep her in the hospial until sometime next week (she still is a little congested from all the medicine in her lungs). But she says she can't wait to get out and go home. Sourire

This the last update I'm going to give, since everything is okay and things are beginning to go back to normal. Again, thanks for all your comments of support, I really appreciated it. Sourire
sarah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good to hear. Sourire Thanks for the update.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: