NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

spam "story" e-mails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: spam "story" e-mails Reply with quote

Does anyone receive SPAM e-mails that are written in paragraph forms like a little story, but they make NO SENSE?!? Here's an example I received:

Quote:
Subject: rigidity relaxed

Shall I ever look thelamas in the face again? And up yonder in high mountains there are many slippery places! But the worst of it was that Tsang-yangs semi-western air ofindependence was beginning to return. I crept through the dark and Grim followed. He isproduct of bad food, blizzards and religion! Grims face,filthy with the lamp smoke, smiled at him poker-wise; there wasno reading it. You are not paidagent of Tibetan Government? You think you will appeal to the first passers-by, I said. So I was not quite green at the business. It was Chullunder Ghose whobore the burden of the conversation. What was it to me, if I shouldlose the Lhassa business? It was a loadthat probably two normally active men would find it all they coulddo to lift. I laughed at that, believing I knew Rait. Well for us that we had brought Tsang-yang! Chullunder Ghose, with a fat mans sense of humor, did his best tomake our flesh creep. But, though you say you are going to Chakpo, dont you let theirdoctors touch you! The Parsee was as kind and fussy and insistent as if I had beenhis wifes relation. And a miracle it is, when they cure anybody! Theyll tell you Jews know nothing abouthonor. Inside it was Raits passport, some receipts, a womans letter, anda photograph of me! You ran away to escape flogging or execution! That letter in Raits wallet was a searchlight thrown on his character. The River Jhelum, flowing throughthe midst of Srinagar, lapped noisily against the bridge piles. I learned you were at Benjamin the Jews in Delhi. We told them howour porters had all run away and left us when we were attackedby bandits. This mark on my cheek is from the whipthey used. However, we did not know that until later. TheLords of Life to whom we offer meditation prefer thought unpollutedby diabolism! Twenty yearsI have been known to the Tibetans, though I have never been to Lhassa. But he was not dead; I could feel him breathing. We began to feel faith in the man, he took such pains to guide usand did it so cheerfully. Thereis a freemasonry of sickness, and the native Indian is nothing ifnot inquisitive. But above all, he advised me to be silent. Not knowing much about Tibetansyet, I mistook the attitude for one of sullen, watchful waiting.

"Shall I ever look the llamas in the face again?" LOL!!! I wonder if this is actually a passage from a famous novel or something. Très content

bearbear
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google search gives me this:
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0300661.txt
Some weird ebook!

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a lot of spam like these or some that sell blue pills, or replicas or diplomas... Pfff

Hopefully, Yahoo with integrated spam filter + FoxMail with integrated spam filter help me keeping my cool... Sourire

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when receiving this kind of messages, though. Even though they might seem senseless and even funny, they might only be a cover-up. See, it isn't difficult to program a notification into the message code, so that the computer sends a "message read" cookie to the sender, allowing him to know the e-mail account is an active one and thus can be a potential "customer" of spam junk, or even worse, a potential victim of "spiffing" (sending spam and making it look as if it had been sent from your e-mail address). In either case, you can expect to receive more and more messages like this, and even some others... not so nice.

By the way, be aware that Outlook's preview panel feature acts pretty much as if you had actually opened the message, so you might be sending the confirm even if you don't actually open the message. This can be disabled in the settings pane, of course; but all in all, the best defense method is simple: don't open messages from unknown addresses; delete them right away!
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be careful. I got an attachment email phase where someone or somewhere was sending me emails with just attachments. I looked at the emails, which just had attachments, but didn't open the attachments. I got one email at that time that I looked at. It happened to be one of the 'German' email that people were getting. I didn't open or download an attachment, but afterwards I ended up with a virus. I had fallen victim to the german email virus, that lots of people were getting. I don't think I opened or downloaded any attachments, so it might have opened or downloaded it automatically as soom as I looked at the email.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
aurora_rose
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that story speaks to me. it's about one man's struggle with the outside forces of the universe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: