NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

The computer/internet thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: The computer/internet thread Reply with quote

Any problems, help/advice, suggestions, questions etc.

I have many problems, possibly too many to list.

One is it normal for a computer to crash often in safe mode? Or does it mean my computer is beyond repair and needs reformatting For instance, my computer often crashes for no reason, even when I'm not doing anything sometimes. It crashes when I try to do a full system scan and try and do a disk cleanup of my c drive. Sometimes it crashes when I open Windows Explorer, but not when opening My Computer. Quicktime doesn't always work and Real Player always crashes. I keep geeting stack, memory errors and the BSOD. I tried to install XP yesterday, but couldn't because there was apparently a file missing. Don't know if on the disk or on my actual pc.

That's just a few of my problems, so maybe the only way to solve them is to do a completely fresh install as my pc is beyond repair completely!

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, don't use Realplayer, get WMP 10 if you can. What kind of system u using? How fast is it? And what do you use it for?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using WinAmp, which seems to be fine. I've got WMP10 (or 9), can't remember which though, but I have an installation file for 10 somewhere on my c drive. The only reason I use RP is to play some online files which wont play with other programmes. I forgot to say that IE explorer also crashes. I'm on 98SE and am using an AMD Athlon processor 1.3GHz (I think) with 512MB ram. I use it for playing some games not overly large, browsing the net, play music and a couple of other things.

This is a list of filenames I don't know what they are. Are any of them bad ones?

Remind32.exe, ctfmon.exe, nwiz.exe /install, MDM7 or MDM.exe

The board waffler!!
Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IE explorer also crashes

Does it crash whenever you first open up internet explorer all the time, or just from time to time? I had a problem like this, and ironically I was using winamp when it first happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it, like other programmes it will work for a little amount of time then crash everytime, sometimes sooner than others. Avant has the same problem (because it's linked and runs alongside IE). I also get the same problem (not so often) with Realarcade. I don't think it's anything to do with Winamp, I'm not always running Winamp. If I remember I believe I had similar problems to this before on 98 and ME (especially) and had to reformat the c drive.

Another problem I'm having is shutting down. Sometimes when I go to shut down, I get the 'not responding' dialog box and sometimes there's nothing in bit at the top. So I don't know what's stopped responding. I also get another program stopped responding sometimes (I can't remember) XCOM event reciever(maybe Norton related)? I think. Will have a look next time and sometimes it's Norton.

I don't know if this is related, but I started getting some of those problems when I changed my screen resolution to 1280x1024.

More unrelated questions.

I have a partition of my c drive, if I convert it back I wont lose any files will I? I'm thinking of converting it back to see if it helps and solves some of my memory problems.

Does anyone the best free sites to get a free site (i.e. no ads or popups) and the best place to get a free forum (without a host, so I can't use Yabb or php or can I)?

(Also OT, where's Mike? I haven't seen him here!)

The board waffler!!
bearbear
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend VLC Media Player for videos - it handles practically every format under the sun Cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I've been using RealPlayer since RealPlayer 8 (that was also when I had RealJukebox 2, ah, good times, good times).
Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to idoodley: i suggest you get Spyware Search & Destroy, that's the best info I can offer. I'd also get mike2000's e-mail from the old board, or I could get his e-mail for u. he knows like everything there is to know about computers.
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's friend is coming to clean up all our computers in a week or so. I can put up with the probs til then. He said he's going to reformat my c drive, rebuild me a computer with odd bits lying around and put Win2000 on it. At the moment I'm trying to see what I need to keep and move it if I can to my external drive. Also make a note of programs I want to reinstall and where from.

I do have Ad-Aware installed on my computer.

Oh Philip, I forgot about Real Jukebox and that it even existed.

The board waffler!!
Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to get Norton Antivirus and Spybt Search & Destroy before downloading ANYTHING
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Norton installed also, but Live Update makes my computer crash. Talking of IE, it doesn't seem to have as many problems when I use Windows Explorer as my browser, which I use as a very last resort. I'm browsing another page at the moment through MY Computer seeing if that crashes, so far okay.

Just took and uploaded a load of screen prints of just a few of my problems.

The board waffler!!
wowrashmi
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idoodley0181 wrote:
My dad's friend is coming to clean up all our computers in a week or so. I can put up with the probs til then. He said he's going to reformat my c drive, rebuild me a computer with odd bits lying around and put Win2000 on it. At the moment I'm trying to see what I need to keep and move it if I can to my external drive. Also make a note of programs I want to reinstall and where from.

I do have Ad-Aware installed on my computer.

Oh Philip, I forgot about Real Jukebox and that it even existed.

Windows 2000 ay? Why not XP?

idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He reacons that 2000 is the best (his opinion) and also he's quite a computer expert. I had even more problems than I'm having at the moment when I had XP Hum....

The board waffler!!
Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i also think XP has issues and I like '98 best (although some things can't run on it. You need double the RAM to run some games on XP and some games you bought before XP won't run on XP.
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another reason for not wanting to run XP, but then again some programmes like some games wont run on 2000. I personally prefer 98se but some newer progs wont run on that. Well I guess you can't have everything can you Hum...!

The board waffler!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: