NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Huh!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Huh!!! Reply with quote

I just signed into one of my emails and keep getting referred to the Wiki-referrer page Fou. I'm wondering if I have a virus or someone's hacked into my mail. I've tried another address I have and am getting the same thing. Anyone else having a similar problem or know what this problem is. I've just sent a message to the help centre and so have to wait for the reply.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried deleting the cookies in your browser and reloading the e-mail page? Sometimes that can help.
superyo
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he should check his host file Tire la langue

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He? Rire. Anyway I've cleared my cookies and that seems to have worked. Sorry for being a bit thick but what do you mean by checking my host file?

Edit: Well it did work until I opened a new message, now it's doing it again Feu!

The board waffler!!
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a text file called "hosts" that tells Windows how to treat IP addresses. It usually works in local networks where you don't have a DNS server to assign and manage addresses. Basically it translates the name of the host or computer you want to connect to a series of numbers your computer can understand.

Now, like I said, it basically works in local networks, but some sites might change it and add a line or two to it, making the computer override the DNS search on the Net. So, if you wanted to redirect one's e-mail address to, say, Yahoo, you would add a line to the hosts file that read something like this:

172.20.20.20 http://www.yahoo.com

where the HTTP address would be the one you want to spoof, and the series of numbers the IP address of the machine where you want to send the requests for that page. This overrides the server on the Net that does this same function, because now the computer won't try to look up the right address number; it will connect to the IP address instead. Hope that made sense... huh

... Anyway; you can find this file in your hard disk. Usually it is located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc To edit it, open a MS DOS window, go to that directory, and type "edit hosts". You should see something like this:

102.54.94.97 rhino
38.25.63.10 acme

Look for a line ending with the http address of your mail server and delete it. Save the file, restart the computer, and try connecting again.
superyo
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, you souldn't edit the host file if you really don't know what it is Clin d'oeil

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Mike, but you've lost me.

maybe it's because I'm very tired.

The board waffler!!
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. No worries. I got confused myself... Tire la langue

You can try this: find that file and rename it. Then try opening your e-mail and see what happens. You shouldn't have trouble unless you connect to other computers via your local network. In that case, just rename the file to its original name.

Hope this helps. ^^
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the file, but sorry I'm still slightly confused. Oh I should've said also that I don't have an account set up through outlook express and so all my email is accessed through my browser (Firefox). It's just only that email I've been having problems with. I haven't checked since I've turned off and on my computer in the past couple of days, so it might've sorted itself out. I also need to check my other email to see if I have a reply from the help desk.

Edit: I've just logged in and it seems to have sorted itself. Might've been a temporary bug. I checked my other email and an email that said they need more info and possible screenshots before they could give me any help or advice. I mean I included the page link and said what I was getting, what more do they need. I've given them as much info as I can. Here's what I said

Quote:
I have just started getting this referrer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referer as soon as I log into my email xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx and cannot check my emails. Could it be that I have a virus or have been hacked or spammed?

and here's their reply:

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to report this, however it's hard to know how to begin helping you without more detailed information.

Please provide as much as you can and any EXACT, full error messages which you might receive along with screen shots if possible so that we are more able to offer assistance.

Hum... I don't know *shrugs*. Anyway I guess I don't need to take it any further now though.

The board waffler!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: