NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

You Used to be Cool Nickelodeon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMC1982

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: You Used to be Cool Nickelodeon Reply with quote

http://noonereadsthisblog.com/?p=1218

By: The WebMaster

September 17, 2009

Was there a network that anyone else watched more as a child? Unless you were one of those weird kids whose parents didnít have cable growing (youíre probably a better person for it now though) the answer is no.

Quote:
Looking back on the past Nickelodeon lineup there were fantastic shows like Doug, Rugrats, and Hey Arnold. But retro Nickelodeon was not limited to just cartoons. No sir, they had great competitive game shows like Legends of the Hidden Temple, Family Double Dare (weíre going to take the physical challenge Mark), and a show whose premise is still awesome to me, Nick Arcade.

Nickelodeonís older lineup also had some very enjoyable live actions shows like Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, and Pete and Pete. Iím sure if I were to go back and watch these now Iíd say they are pretty corny, but at the time, I loved them and watched each one religiously.

Then there was one day it all changed, and Iím not exactly sure why. For me personally, it was around the age of 14 when I was sitting watching Nickelodeon one day and almost said out loud ďthis isnít fun to watch at allĒ. From there on out I embarked on the great exodus from the safe grounds of Nickelodeon to the mature unknown cable landscape.

I recently returned to my former home of Nickelodeon to check on some old friends and see what the station was doing these days.

Things have changedÖ

You wonít be able find nearly any of the shows I mentioned above, but more disheartening than that, you canít find any shows close to them.

Here are some of Nickelodeonís current shows:

H20
-Three kids turn into mermaids when they touch water. They somehow have to try and balance their social life at school while dealing with this problem.

Naked Brothers Band
-Two brothers set out to show that rock and roll isnít just for adults in a rock-mockumentary parody.

iCarly
-A girl and her friend trying to balance high school life and internet stardom after creating a hit online web series.

Zoey 101
-Brittany Spearsí little sister goes to an all-boyís boarding school. (With what has happend to her recently, itís almost too easy to make a joke about this)

True Jackson, VP
-A 15 year old girl gets named the VP of a major fashion company and has to balance business life with social life.

Quote:
Internet celebrities, running a fashion business, high school, being a rock star. When did any of these things become part of being a kid, or even being interesting as a kid? Maybe I grew up in a simpler time, but things sure have changed.

While there are a significant greater number of live action/sitcom style shows now, there are still some cartoons on the network. While older shows Rugrats and Rocket Power are still shown, many of the new cartoons seem to be pretty uninspired efforts by Nickelodeon.

One of the new shows, Avatar, has developed a rather strong following and is actually being made into a feature film written by M. Night Shyamalan. Hopefully M. Night can step up his game after some recent stinkers.

While doing my best to avoid this being an old man ďIn my day we watched good TV!Ē type rant, Iím fully aware that kids today are much different than when I was growing up. With a greater influence by technology and a number of other more things, these kidís interests will ultimately be different than mine were at a young age. In the end though, I feel that many of these children will be missing out on some fantastic programming that Nickelodeon was once committed to.
Rugrat
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I see what you're saying, Zoey 101 and iCarly are good shows. They are entertaining, well-produced, and carry strong themes in each episode.

Also, it's Britney Spears.
elisaevedent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did Nickelodeon stop showing the old cool cartoons!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Nickelodeon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: