RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

The Ubuntu chronicles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: The Ubuntu chronicles Reply with quote

Was bound to happen. I tried my best to resist, but eventually I had to surrender to the facts. The trend towards open software is real, and is gaining momentum. When you notice that even such traditional computer giants like IBM are focusing on developing solutions for that darned penguin, you know it's time to move on.

My nephew convinced me recently to take a tour of the Ubuntu 8.01 implementation of the Linux operating system. I've just downloaded the ISO file and installed in in an old laptop that has become my own personal Guinea pig. Right now I passed through the configuring process rather easily - instead of installing the system as a shared, dual-boot configuration, I chose to erase all my previous Windows partitions and devote the entire hard drive to Linux.

The instalation process is quite simple and straight-forward, at least when you install Ubuntu as the main operating system in your computer. Once you download the ISO file and burn it to a CD, you can use it to start your computer. The welcome screen guides you through several options: you can either run the system from the CD (deja-v, reminds me of the good old days when we had our operating system stored on a floppy disk!!!) or you can install it to your hard drive.

If you choose that second (and more logical) option, the installer examines your hard drive and gives you the chance to choose if you want to keep your current WIndows partition and install Ubuntu on the free space of the hard drive, which will create a start-up menu that lets you choose what operating system you want to use, or you can assign the entire hard drive to Ubuntu, thus deleting all your former Windows partition. I chose that second option - easier for a novice in Penguin language like myself.

I was gladly surprised when the operating system installed and detected all my hardware without problem. I installed it on a Sony Vaio laptop, and the system detected correctly the right screen resolution, audio drivers, even network and wireless card configurations. The laptop works nicely with the system, and so far I have to say that it starts up faster than WIndows. The system is a rather average computer: Pentium Celeron with 1 GB RAM and 160 GB hard disk.

When the system finally installed, I made a quick overview of it. Bundled with the operating system you get Open Office (word processing, spreadsheet and a rather good presentation editor), Firefox (I've gotten used to this one; definitely more stable than Internet Explorer), some good drawing utilities, and so on.

The last step taken in this very first encounter with Linux was setting up my wireless card and configuring access to my local network. Again, I was gladly surprised to see that the system is quite intuitive, and it even included some good utilities to configure the wireless access to my network. It asks you to decide what kind of security procotol you'll be using - if you don't know exactly, you can do right by leaving the default options in place. Then it asks for the WEP key, that is, your "password" for the wireless network, and voil! After a few clicks and tweaks you can be surfing the Net on your fancy Penguin-powered computer.

Next step is learning how to install, or "compile" adittional applications, and if you have to install an antivirus software or firewall or some sort of protection to it. Will continue reporting on it as I learn more of this thing.
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh... I'm frustrated.

I got my hands on an old, but still useable Compaq Presario with Pentium IV processor and a hefty 800 MB RAM ( Rire ) to use as test mule for the Ubuntu operating system; I didn't want to hog a perfectly functional and useful Vaio laptop with an operating system I am not familiar with. But the dang thing has given me quite a few headaches trying to set up the system.

I just repartitioned and reformatted the hard drive, installing Windows XP Professional with service pack 2. The operating system runs smoothly, perhaps just a tad slow to perform some tasks; I have no other apps installed here.

The problems started when I tried to run the Ubuntu CD. The computer reboots without trouble, starts from the CD, and I've been even able to start Ubuntu from the CD ROM, but the two or three times I tried to install the system last night, it just couldn't start some of the modules. I'm not sure if there's a compatibility error with my current hardware, which would defeat the purpose of getting a test mule in the first place.

I'm planning to install Ubuntu from the Windows operating system. According to the documentation, you can create an Ubuntu system from inside Windows, as if it were just another application; maybe this will help.

If this fails, though, I'll look on the Ubuntu page to see if I can find another version more compatible with Pentium IV processors; maybe even try getting my hands on the release notes.

I knew this was going to be a trip, but never expected it to begin so quickly... haven't even been able to start it! Rire
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna hear something absurd, ironic and fun?? Apparently, Ubuntu has some known issues with legacy nVidia video cards... and the test mule I just bought has one of those excellent cards installed! Rire Now that explains in good measure why I'm having trouble running Ubuntu on it.

I'm looking for a workaround on the release notes; if anyone has a suggestion that does not involve buying a new video card for an old computer, let me know.
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooookey... so the Ubuntu installer has a feature that allows you to run it from inside Windows. That apparently overrides the Linux drivers for most of the hardware, relying instead on those of the system, allowing you to make a complete installation and configuring your machine as a "dual operating system" configuration, which means that, at startup, you can choose to boot Windows or Ubuntu.

So far, so good. I got to the point where the system rebooted, got the new startup menu, and was finally able to run the Ubuntu setup configuration.

Now, I had some sort of a problem here. When I ran the setup utility from Windows, it asked me how much hard disk space I wanted to dedicate to the Ubuntu partition. As far as I know, the install system made the partitioning of the free disk space before installing the system. Now, when I rebooted with Ubuntu, I got the screen where you select the country and time zone (a very graphic and friendly feature; you get a world map on screen, then you can zoom in to your country and city, a-la-Google earth), but then it asked me how I wanted to partition the hard drive, again. What made it confusing was that I just couldn't select any partition there - I had to press the "cancel" button to skip that screen. It asked me if I wanted to abort the installation, and not having any other choice I said "yes". Well, the fun part is, the installation assistant closed, and lo, I found myself staring at the Ubuntu desktop. oO?

... Anyway, apparently the computer finally got Ubuntu installed, up and running. Now I want to understand how some basics work there - for starters, how to configure a printer.

But of course I first need to make sure I can get Ubuntu running again. Rire
jecobroy7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dual boot with Ubuntu and for Windows XP Unlike the previous setup, I own the whole drive to Ubuntu is dedicated through virtualization and VMware has decided to use only Windows. When I suspend my machine in order to my work and I feel the same panel had to reboot. Log out and log back I tried but it did not matter.

Mark_ferguson77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the posted article information which you have shown here that's really very nice as well as that much useful too. As I was totally unknown from this but after reading youre this post I came to know about that.

yor12ks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Information. You have to post here really great and very useful information about that. This Information is very useful for me and also all of us. Thanks for this information.

Stephen.joyce77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally a chronicle (Latin: chronica, from Greek χρονικά, from χρόνος, chronos, "time") is a historical account of facts and events ranged in chronological order, as in a time line. Typically, equal weight is given for historically important events and local events, the purpose being the recording of events that occurred, seen from the perspective of the chronicler. This is in contrast to a narrative or history, which sets selected events in a meaningful interpretive context and excludes those the author does not see as important.

dating345

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for sharing this too massive and amazing sharing with us
i really enjoy this awesome working too much
jasonmilsont

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To identify any problem can be either done on personally or through a application application which is known as PC or pc analytic resources or application. Another technique is examine within the windows sources for any such variance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Computer All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: