Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Dolby rips K-Fed for stealing his music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marching to Mars
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Dolby rips K-Fed for stealing his music Reply with quote

Hyperbole aside, K-Fed is working hard to live up to his self-proclaimed stature as "America's Most Hated." This week, he added another name to the enemy list.

New wave pioneer Thomas Dolby says he's contemplating legal action against Britney's other half for allegedly sampling Dolby's 1983 hit "She Blinded Me with Science" without permission.

Federline's latest song, "America's Most Hated," was recently released through the aspiring rapper's MySpace page and seems to sample Mobb Deep's "Got It Twisted," which in turn had (legally) sampled a riff from Dolby's smash single.

"Kevin Federline, whom I'd never heard of until a few days ago, appears to have illegally sampled one of my compositions," Dolby posted on his blog after getting tipped off to the track by a fan. "And laws aside, he owed it to me as an artist to ask if I minded that he recorded a vitriolic rap over the top of my music."

Federline's expletive-laced song, which starts off with the line, "This is for the haters," addresses his demonization by those in the press, with extra special shout-outs to Us Weekly--a false tabloid, as his wife might say, and one that the Federlines are currently waging a lawsuit against--and, of course, Bryant Gumbel.

Dolby said he first heard the song after being clued in to its existence via a posting on his Website's message boards. He responded with a blog entry requesting that the song be removed from the singer's MySpace page.

"So, K-Fed, if you're reading this, I'm asking you nicely to take the track down ASAP. Or maybe you'd prefer me to come after some of your wife's ill-gotten gains?"

While Federline's reps had no comment on Dolby's diss, the song was removed from Federline's Website on Wednesday.

Dolby posted another entry on his own site later that day: "Success!"

"You can't just take a very well-known piece of music and add your own vitriolic rap over the top of it and get away with it," the new wave singer told MTV News.

"I considered turning a blind eye to it other than, as I mentioned on my site, asking him politely to take it down. But I found out today that it aired on VH1 last week. So, it's more than just an MP3 download.

"It's like what Vanilla Ice did with 'Ice, Ice Baby,' " Dolby said, "although I think Vanilla Ice is a superstar compared to this guy."

Ouch.

"Mobb Deep came to me and asked for a license," Dolby continued. "We issue licenses all the time, for movies and TV shows and so on. I was aware of the Mobb Deep one, but I certainly never issued a license to Kevin Federline."

Nor would he have.

"I wouldn't have turned it down because of who he is," Dolby told MTV. "I knew nothing about him, quite frankly, and just because he gets a bad rep in the press doesn't make him a bad guy. But just on the merits of the song, I would have said no...The lyrics are pretty evil, and I just don't think it was appropriate."

Dolby also noted in his blog that Mobb Deep's copyrights were equally violated, though since that rapper's label, Jive Records, is also home to Spears, he didn't suspect anything would come of that violation.

"[Jive's executives] don't want to rock the Britney boat, so they are turning a blind eye," he wrote.

A spokesman for Jive Records, meanwhile, told MTV News that lawyers were investigating the issue. Dolby has also turned his claim over to a legal team.

Meanwhile, Dolby is preparing to kick off his first tour in more than 15 years next week, with a series of dates in clubs across the country.

The musician also recently helped out fellow synth player JJ Abrams with the score of the Abrams-helmed Mission: Impossible III.

Even though Federline doesn't have a record deal, is widely mocked for his musical shortcomings and is now facing a potential lawsuit, he announced last week that he's planning to release his debut album, Playing with Fire, in August.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,18752,00.html?tnews

pink fairy princess
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait to avoid getting that CD YAY!!!

When you can liveforever what do you laugh at?
rusty_theron11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not fair to steal music at all, its not so good
really amazing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: