NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Is Nickelodeon in the Same Predicament as the Disney Channel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMC1982

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Is Nickelodeon in the Same Predicament as the Disney Channel Reply with quote

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=269443

A while back, there was a discussion (look at the link above) that I read concerning Disney not having enough "neutral" or "boy centric" programs. Either the shows that are currently around have a female lead, have male leads but are decidedly, more female appealing (i.e. Jonas), or have been shunted off to the smaller Disney XD. Now in fairness to Nick, I don't watch that particular channel now as when say, I was a in middle to high school or younger. Therefore, I wouldn't consider myself to be the best judge of Nick's recent content.

However, when I do catch Nickelodeon from time to time, I've come to the conclusion that it shares a good share of problems that I personally have with the Disney Channel. I mean for starters, whereas any live-action show that isn't produced by It's a Laugh Productions is either non-existent or underpromoted, the same thing can be said with Dan Schneider over on Nick. Like Disney, post of the current shows on Nick have female lead (I don't mean to sound sexist, but I prefer some "diversity"), i.e. iCarly, True Jackson, VP, and Victorious. Yes, there's also Big Time Rush, but I consider that show to be in the same category as Jonas over at Disney. More "neutral" shows on Nick like The Troop seems to not get as much publicity or attention as the others.

Like Disney, Nickelodeon in possibly the past decade (or close to that) have fallen into the trap of running the same shows to death day-by-day. I mean, it seems like approximately 60-70% of Nick's daily schedule recently consist of iCarly, SpongBob, and Fairly OddParents. It's really no different than towards the end of the 1990s-early 2000s when off the heels of the success of the first Rugrats movie, just about every other show on Nick had to be produced by Klasky-Csupo.

One thing that I realized about both Nick and Disney is that most of their shows of late either concern famous kids or kids trying to be famous:
Nickelodeon:
*iCarly - The main character and her friends host a popular web show.

*Victorious - Basically Fame: The Sitcom

*Big Time Rush - The (mis)adventures of a boy band

*True Jackson, VP - You can argue that because it's set in the world of high fashion, that the characters are by default, celebrities

*The Naked Brothers Band

*The TV movie Spectacular! (i.e. Nickelodeon's answer to High School Musical)

Disney:
*Hannah Montana

*Jonas

*The TV movies The Cheetah Girls, Camp Rock, High School Musical and more recently, Starstruck

*Sonny with a Chance - A behind the scenes look at an All That-like sketch comedy show

*The Suite Life... - This is arguable in regards at least, to the London Tipton character

*Cory in the House - Life in the White House; the president's daughter is a supporting character; the D.C. 3 band

*I'm in the Band
Rugrat
Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I see what you mean. I have to say that I prefer the days when Klasky Csupo ruled Nickelodeon. I feel that it's never going to come out of its "slump" the way we see it. It's never going to go back to such pure, quality programming because they've done it already. They don't realize that their audience changes. They get a completely fresh audience every ten years, so it's okay to repeat themes in shows. They are too worried about being cutting-edge and competitive that they're leaving the quality behind. I spend a lot of time with my little cousins, though, and Nickelodeon is ALWAYS on. They speak of iCarly like we used to speak about Lizzie McGuire-- even more so, actually. We'll never be able to give new programming on those shows a proper chance because we've evolved into such analytical mindframes.

Although, I have to say, Nickelodeon would be far more successful and better off if they brought on a few teenagers and 20-somethings to have a say in the Network.
elisaevedent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I get an audition for disney channel or get an agent who works with disney channel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Nickelodeon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: