RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Classic movies - The Shining

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Classic movies - The Shining Reply with quote

I admit it: I'm not your typical movie-goer. I do not get hyped to see the latest productions and spending two hours sitting in the dark of a crowded theatre is not exactly my idea of fun. I prefer to watch older movies, at home, and be able to analyse them in detail.

That said, my first comment on this subject would be on a very good movie called "The Shining".

Directed in 1980 by the famous director Stanley Kubrick, it was based on the novel by Stephen King. On the IMDB ranking of the top 250 movies of all time, this one ranks at number 57, and is considered "A Masterpiece Of Modern Horror"

A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil and spiritual presence influences the father into violence, while his psychic son sees horrific forebodings from the past and of the future. Soon the father gets in touch with some ghosts from the hotel's dark past, who convice him that he needs to "correct" his family. Jack Nicholson's magnificent depiction of the perturbed, crazy father and the use of closeups, music and effects make for a very good movie from a time when special effects were not made by computer, yet; the movie relies more on the histrionics of the actors than the magic of the cutting room. Even despite the overacting of the kid Danny (Jack Nicholson's son in the movie), the plot flows smoothly and builds suspense and terror steadily until the climaxing end. Those who have seen it will hardly forget the two phrases: "Redrum", and my personal favorite, said by an axe-wielding Nicholson as he bursts through a door to the room where his terrified family is trying to take cover: "Heeeere's Johhny!!!!"

A classic movie, based on a very good novel by suspense and terror master Stephen King, really worth renting. But warning! Don't watch it alone!! Clin d'oeil

Have you seen it?
Cpt_Zim83
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I've read the book and seen the movie. I never thought I say something like this, but I liked the book better because the hotel blows up in the end. Surpris
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been at least two different versions of this movie; the first one featuring Jack Nicholson ends with his character frozen in the maze at the garden and the wife and son escaping in a snowmobile. But I remember seeing a more recent version of it where the hotel burns down to the bases in the end.

It usually happens; the book always has a lot more detail and more situations that can be portrayed in the movie due to time limitations; I usually try to get my hands on the book when I like a movie, because it helps understand the story a lot better. Other examples I will discuss later: E.T., Jaws, Airport 77, and more recently the Star Wars saga, It, Stand by Me, and others, are all based on successful novels that were then taken to the big screen.
Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am no horror fan, but this movie absolutely beats any horror ever made, and I LOVED it!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
encino
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLASSIC Kubrick
disneylove

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven kings scares me!!!!!!!
encino
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneylove wrote:
steven kings scares me!!!!!!!

he's great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: