NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

House cleaning, Wal-Mart style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: House cleaning, Wal-Mart style Reply with quote

It's been really interesting going to work for the last two days. We had four cashiers get fired over the weekend, a cart pusher quit on Sunday, and a couple of weeks ago our front end manager (My manager) transferred to another store in the district. But perhaps the biggest surprise came yesterday. As of about 3 PM yesterday, we don't have a store manager!

Saturday my friend Jenn was fired, and on Sunday my other friend Josh got canned, and it was because they both missed too many days of work. I'm not sure why Jenn missed so much, but I feel really bad for Josh because he got it for stuff he couldn't control. He missed two days because his kids were sick and he had to stay home and take care of them because he didn't have anyone who could watch them for him, and the other two days were because he was sick. What was he supposed to do? He was at work for almost two hours before he got called back to the office and they gave him the news. He left the store really upset. He looked like he was going to cry.

The other two were older woman who I just talked to a lot. One of them I think was let go of because of other things. Don't get me wrong, I love her, she reminded me of my grandma. But she moved slower than molasses! The other one sometimes had a bit of an attitude, and I hated covering her breaks and lunches for her, because it was like she brought everything she owned with her to her register. She always carried this big, huge clear tote bag with all kinds of medicine (She has asthma, but she doesn't need twenty bottles of Tylenol and 16 containers of Tums for asthma!), stickers, three or four packs of gum, etc. And she always had to carry a huge desktop fan with her, even when it was below 0 outside because "It's hot!" She piled all this stuff up on the counter around the printer, and if you had to come take over for her and lost something while you were over there, you might as well just forget about 'cuz you'll never find it again! I felt claustrophobic with all of her junk. (And that's all it was: Junk!) When I come to work, I bring four things to the checkouts with me: Two pens, a stapler, and a bottle of water. That's it, that's all I need. If I can't fit it in the pocket of my pants, I don't need to take it with me.

We're not sure what happened to the store manager. We don't know if he got fired for something or if he quit on his own. (I find it hard to believe that he voluntarily quit, though. He worked for Wal-Mart for 21 years. He started out as an unloader and then he managed stores in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois and Indiana before winding up as our manager her in Michigan. He's been at our store for three years, starting just right after it was converted to a Supercenter.) Another associate told me yesterday that she saw him when he was leaving and he was walking really fast and looked like he might start crying. She asked him what was wrong, and he said he didn't want to talk about it. She said she felt really helpless and bad for him, like she wished she could do something but there wasn't anything she could do. We think it might have something to do with the cart pusher that quit on Sunday, though. Supposedly he was really mad when he quit and he told the manager that fired him he'd get them back. (It was all because he didn't get a 40 cent raise.) We think he filed a complaint on the store manager, because they said something about him making racial slurs yesterday, and the guy that quit was black. Nobody thinks the manager actually did that, though. It just wasn't something he'd do. I feel really bad for the guy. His whole life was Wal-Mart, and now his reputation might be ruined all because of someone else spreading rumors. So we might not have a store manager for a while. They said we'll be a corporate managed store, with all decisions associate-wise being made by the assistant managers, and all decisions store-wise being made by Corporate.

So now everybody's watching their backs and making sure they don't screw up.

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a fun place to work. Tire la langue
William Pearson
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my goodness!

How can so many things happen in one short period of time? (Like that's never happened before!)

I'm really sorry for the store manager and for Josh.

I like Walmart, but I don't want to work there because I fear I'll stop liking that place. And there's a Walmart in town that I might start going to regularly. I used to work for Sonic but now I don't even want to eat there anymore and I don't want it to happen to any place else I like.
Star
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh William, you just had to go and mention Sonic! I have been craving them for a while now, and I'm always seeing the commercials on tv. Unfortunately, the only Sonic around here is about two hours away from me. Triste
William Pearson
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, whoops! Sorry about that Star.
superyo
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope you won't be the next one Surpris

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm not next, too!

Anyway, I've been told that I should be pretty safe. I'm never late for work and never call off or leave early, unless there's really extenuating circumstances (Like I'm really sick, I'm having car problems and I'm going to be late-which in that case, I call and let them know that I'll be there as soon as I can, or if I have a doctor or dentist appointment. I try to schedule all doctor and dentist appointments for times when I don't have to work, though, but sometimes I just can't do that. Luckily for me, I never get sick or hurt that often! My dentist appointments are made six months in advance, though, so I have to remember to put those in the SMART system on the computer at work so they know I have an appointment and can't work at that time.) and I try to follow all the rules most of the time.

They also fired a guy yesterday, but we all saw that one coming. Let's just say he was not a very good employee and leave it at that.

Still, I like working at Wal-Mart, which not many people can say. I have fun when I go to work, and I like most of the people I work with and what I do. And provided that all goes well this summer, when I get my annual review in July I'll be making about $11 an hour, so I can't complain about that. Sourire

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many people are working there ? Confused

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I last checked, we had about 400 associates at my store. (Yes, that's what I said; 400!) That number might be slightly lower or slightly higher now, though, with all the firings, people quitting and new hires coming in. I recently saw a special on Bloomberg TV about Wal-Mart, and they said the average store usually staffs anywhere from 400 to 420 people.

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never guess there were so many people Surpris

On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something in the business section of the newspaper yesterday about Wal-Mart that said they're one of the largest employers in the U.S. and they employ approximately 1.9 million people in the U.S. alone! Surpris

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought it was just a small shop Rire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful stuff, Thank you.
malissa_22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved your idea, all house cleaners should go for such fun ideas. Anyway I am looking for someone how can help me with bedbug detection and removal. Please help me with some affordable ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: