NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Be careful what you say on forums and in chatrooms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Be careful what you say on forums and in chatrooms Reply with quote

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/17112006/325/man-jailed-first-web-rage-attack.html

Quote:
Man jailed for first "web-rage" attack
Reuters Friday November 17, 01:59 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - A man convicted of what has been described as the country's first "web-rage" attack, was jailed for 2-1/2 years on Friday for assaulting a man he had exchanged insults with over the Internet.

Paul Gibbons, 47, from south London, admitted he had attacked John Jones in December 2005 after months of exchanging abuse with him via an Internet chatroom dedicated to discussing Islam.

After several more verbal and written exchanges -- with Jones threatening to track him down and give him a severe beating -- Gibbons and a friend went to his victim's house in Essex, armed with a pickaxe and machete.

Jones himself was armed with a knife but Gibbons took it off him, held it to his throat and "scratched" him across the neck.

Gibbons, who the court heard had previous convictions for violence, admitted unlawful wounding on the first day of his trial last month.

Other charges of attempted murder and issuing online threats to kill four other chatroom users were not pursued but could be reactivated in future if he reoffends.

Media reports said it was the country's first case of "web-rage" and Judge Richard Hawkins described the circumstances as "unusual".

"This case highlights the dangers of Internet chat rooms, particularly with regards to giving personal details that will allow other users to discover home addresses," said Detective Sergeant Jean-Marc Bazzoni of Essex Police.

Just saying to be careful because arguments and insults can sometimes go too far!

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
Tom
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Be careful what you say on forums and in chatrooms Reply with quote

idoodley0181 wrote:
Gibbons and a friend went to his victim's house in Essex, armed with a pickaxe and machete

[..]

Gibbons had previous convictions for violence.

[..]

"This case highlights the dangers of Internet chat rooms."

Insulting someone over the Internet is just the modern day equivalent of Crank Calling someone. Okay, so occasionally the people on the other end are homicidal-maniacs, but that's a chance you just have to take.

Ooh, I smell a sequel; someone give me the address of whoever's in charge of "When A Stranger Calls 2"!

Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly why I don't do chat rooms never have. If I did I would another name and age and other things like that then they couldn't track me down that easily.
superyo
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't hide, you got an IP, Rebecca Clin d'oeil

Insulting people over the net is sooo easy Sourire I guess this is why so many people post stupid messages on boards... Hum...

Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I still try to stay out of them. The only thing close to that is the yahoo games that have the chat thing and I usually get someone different cause I don't go in to often anyways. Im horrible at pool yet I go in anyways and lose to more people and lose much needed points. UGH! Pleure jk.
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to stay or atleast try to stay out of arguements. If I see an arguement brewing, then most of the time I tend to leave that thread or atleast try and change the subject rather than adding fuel to the flames. On some boards however certain subjects are banned because they tend to be amongst the highest causes of arguements and flaming.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
wowrashmi
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superyo wrote:
You can't hide, you got an IP, Rebecca Clin d'oeil

Insulting people over the net is sooo easy Sourire I guess this is why so many people post stupid messages on boards... Hum...

Yea....I hate those people

Très content Choqué Fou Feu Clin d'oeil Confused Sourire Triste Cool Surpris Rire Pleure huh Fier Embarassé Tommy Bravo Sophie La Binocle
BAST^RDZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: