NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Computer question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Computer question Reply with quote

Anyone that really knows computers, help!

I leave my computer turned on most of the time, and sometimes it'll just automatically connect to the Internet without me knowing it. (I have a 56k dial-up connection) Sometimes the only way I'll figure this out is when I'm not home and I try to call home and the line's busy. (We only have one phone line.)

Does anyone know how to fix this? I might just end up calling my ISP and asking them how to fix it.
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have some spyware / adware issues there.

you might need to download a spyware / adware detection tool, like AdAware and scan your computer for this kind of stuff. Most likely you have some hidden software installed that is programmed to periodically log in the Net and generate traffic. Also check your computer for viruses, since some of them are programmed to automatically dial an Internet connection from time to time and do unexpected and often undesirable things once connected.

If this is not the case, you might want to check for the configuration of software like your antivirus, or the printer driver (specially if you have an HP printer). Those tools connect periodically to the Net to download updates or to report on the use of the system.

The best way to prevent this would be, of course, to keep your computer disconnected from the Net while not in use; either by unplugging the telephone cable from it, or by letting it rest (shutting it off or at least suspending it). But if you can't do that for whatever reason, you should get a good antivirus / firewall / antyspyware solution to help reduce the risk of this happening again. Of course, you would install this tool after you've cleaned your system.

Good luck with this.
Hihey9989
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the exact same problem I had this summer. I think you have a trojan dialer which is a virus that only affects dial-up internet (but can be really annoying even if you have faster connections). What it does is it uses your modem to make extremely long distance calls to jack up your phone bill greatly. I suggest you call a computer technician. Better yet do this. Search for any files created between now and when you first had this problem. If you find any system files created between now and then, first off delete them, they will usually disguise theirselves as an important system file (the ones I had were in system32 and were called win101 and winA and stuff like that). If you come across these the virus has already reached your system and you will likely have to do a system restore.

Aside from what happens when you insert an A: wire into the motherboard, this is the only thing about computers i can thoroughly explain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BeverlyHillsChick
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. Sourire

I'm gonna try running AdAware on it and see if that helps.
knoodelhed
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more effective procedure may be to just physically disconnect the computer's phone line if it's in a convenient place, or to remove the external modem's power if you use one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
superyo
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike2000 wrote:
Sounds like you have some spyware / adware issues there. (...)

From the "dialer" familly Clin d'oeil

Mike2000 wrote:
(...) unplugging the telephone cable (...)

That was what I was going to say Tire la langue

I would suggest you to use "Windows Defender"... The official M$ AntiSpyware Clin d'oeil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: