NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

10/2: School Massacre In Amish Community

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azumanga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: 10/2: School Massacre In Amish Community Reply with quote

This is the third heinous school-related crime in a week in the US.

No school is safe. Regardless of where you are.

From CNN.com:

Quote:
Truck driver kills three girls in Amish school shooting
POSTED: 8:05 p.m. EDT, October 2, 2006

PARADISE, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- A 32-year-old truck driver walked into a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday, binding and shooting three girls execution-style before killing himself, police said.

Eight other girls were wounded in the attack, which police said appeared to be a revenge killing for an incident that occurred two decades ago.

"It would take a miracle for us to not lose more lives today," said Commissioner Jeffrey Miller of the Pennsylvania State Police, adding that the wounded were in critical condition -- two of them "very dire."

The attack was the nation's third deadly school shooting in a week.

The gunman, Charles Carl Roberts IV, was armed with three guns, a stun gun, two knives and a bag holding 600 rounds of ammunition, Miller said.

He was also carrying an assortment of tools and other items, including toilet paper, that led police to believe he was prepared for an extended standoff.

"It seems as though he wanted to attack young female victims, and this is close to his residence. That's the only reason we can figure that he went to the school," said Miller.

"It's a horrendous crime scene," he said.

The shooting took place in Lancaster County, about 60 miles west of Philadelphia, at a school run by the Amish community. There were 26 students in the school Monday, 11 of them girls.

The school teaches students ranging from 6 to 13, with some older students working as teachers' aides. Two students and an aide were dead at the scene, with one girl dying in a state trooper's arms, Miller said.

The wounded girls were taken to several hospitals in the central Pennsylvania area, some of them with gunshot wounds to the head.

Roberts drove a commercial milk truck, said Miller. He was not Amish, was not previously wanted by authorities and had no known criminal history.

The Bart, Pennsylvania, resident had three children, and left several notes for his family "along the lines of suicide notes," Miller said.

The notes were "rambling" and "didn't make much sense," Miller said.

Roberts did not respond when police at the scene attempted to communicate with him, and troopers were preparing to storm the schoolhouse before the shooting began, Miller said.

Roberts' wife tried to call him when she found the notes, Miller said. He returned the call on his cell phone, told her he wouldn't be coming home and "that he was acting out to achieve revenge for something that happened 20 years ago."

The suspect called 911 and "made a declaration that if the state police didn't leave the property he would start shooting people within 10 seconds."

"Within seconds, he just started firing in rapid succession."

Police then stormed the schoolhouse through the windows and found Roberts dead, Miller said. He had fired at least one shotgun blast at police.

Gunman let boys go

The commissioner said Roberts had worked a shift that ended about 3 a.m. Monday and taken his children to their bus stop before beginning his rampage.

Police said he had barricaded himself in the schoolhouse with two-by-four and two-by-six pieces of lumber, which he brought to the scene in a borrowed pickup truck.

"He did a great deal of planning," Miller said. "It appears that he intended to be prepared for a lengthy siege."

Miller said that during the attack, Roberts apparently told students to line up in front of the blackboard. He began to tie his female captives' feet together. He let the 15 boys in the classroom leave.

Miller said Roberts also allowed an adult female who was pregnant to leave with three other adult females who had infant children with them.

The teacher who was released was able to alert authorities, Miller said.

"Apparently, there was some sort of an issue in his past that for some reason, he wanted to exact revenge against female victims. That's all I can tell you right now," Miller said.

Miller said Roberts' grudge did not appear to involve the Amish community and that he may have chosen his target out of convenience, perhaps thinking "getting into a school like this was maybe just a little bit easier."

A man who said he was a friend of the Roberts family, Dwight Lefever, read a statement attributed to the gunman's wife, Marie Roberts, according to CNN affiliate WGAL.

"The man that did this today was not the Charlie I've been married to for almost 10 years. My husband was loving, supportive, thoughtful. All the things you'd always want and more. He was an exceptional father," the statement said.

"Our hearts are broken, our lives are shattered, and we grieve for the innocents and lives that were lost today. Above all, please pray. Pray for the families who lost children today, and please pray, too, for our family and children."

Lancaster County's 911 Web site reported dozens of emergency vehicles -- including at least nine ambulances -- were dispatched to Bart Township shortly before 11 a.m. for a "medical emergency." The Lancaster County emergency communications Web site showed 20 incident calls listed to the normally quiet Bart Township at 10:48 a.m.

Shortly after the attack, men, women and girls in traditional Amish clothing gathered in small groups outside the country schoolhouse along a dirt road. Horse-drawn carriages could be seen in a nearby parking lot.

The school is one of about 150 that serve the Amish population of about 200,000, said Donald Kraybill, a sociology professor at nearby Elizabethtown College.

"They typically are one-room facilities operated by Amish parents," Kraybill said. "There usually are not any security concerns or security risks in the schools, so this is quite a shock."

Aaron Meyer, who owns a buggy company in the nearby village of Bird in Hand, said the largely rural Amish country had experienced nothing like the crime in the 25 years he has lived in the area.

"Many of these townships there have no police at all, because there's no crime," Meyer told CNN.

On Wednesday, a 53-year-old man entered a high school in Bailey, Colorado, where he held several female students hostage at gunpoint. He shot one girl before killing himself seconds after a SWAT team stormed the classroom.

A high school student near Madison, Wisconsin, is suspected of fatally gunning down his principal on Friday, after he complained about being bullied and was disciplined for carrying tobacco.

Sending a cretin like Roberts to hell will be like sending him to heaven, His sexist soul must be extinguished, with all the pain of the victims.
Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I read about this earlier. What are these guys? Some kind of psyco's or something? I'm never going back to school Im staying home forever this is just to creepy. i bet all these guys who did the shootings are connected some how. Just the other day at the high school they did some kind of practice after school for this kind of thing. Triste
bearbear
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, gun-nuts should really get off their constitution high-horse.

What happened is a real shame Triste
I've been to that area before, and even been in an Amish school.

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that on TV Triste That seems to happen quite often these days Triste

Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 people is NOT a massacure, but it's still scary. Why the heck to they do this stuff.

Recovering n00b. Seriously, what was I on in 2006-8?
knoodelhed
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a surplus of undetectable hate going around in this world. I really don't know what else to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tommy_baby
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time people lived up to themselves. These people who enjoy massacureing, what do we call them...HUMAN BEINGS, perhaps?

It's been going on for ages. Stone Age towns, Agincourt, Flodden Field, Boston, New York City, London, Bali.

There have been some truely evil people in existance: Hitler and his henchmen, Al Capone, Genghis Khan, all those evil idiots.

Then there are the good people: Joan of Arc, Winston Churchill, Horatio Nelson...

But is it really that neat?

The Middle Ages were violent, full of bloodthirsty people who killed remorslessly.

Sound familair? Yes, until we abandon and learn from our past, we never will leave the Middle Ages. Sadly, the liklyhood of humans giving up evil and viciousness is the same as kangaroo eggs. As long as humans exist, we will never end violence. The only way we'll become extinct is if we nuclear bombed eachother to death.

However, there still is hope. Although we had some guy 'prove' there was no afterlife, we will never stop imagining this. The afterlife is what you want it to be.

So, although we will always have evil, and bloodthisty nitwits, we can get through this. We will not all die tommorrow. Just look on the postives.

Remember, there is good and evil in all of us, even the heroes I mentioned earlier. This is what we must 'conquer' in ourselves.

Of course, I'm no pyscoligist, so that could all be bollucks.

Recovering n00b. Seriously, what was I on in 2006-8?
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people just go crazy for no reason or they do it out of revenge. I mean slightly changing the subject though, what brings a person to kill someone or more than one person in their own family.

It's very sad about what has happened. It has just made me remember that school in was it Belsen a year or so ago. Triste

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: