NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index NickDisk Reloaded
Welcome to the new new NickDisk board

RegisterRegister
FAQFAQ SearchSearch Log inLog in
Nickdisk Reloaded fanart galleriesNickdisk Reloaded fanart galleries

Remembering 9/11 five years out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knoodelhed
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Remembering 9/11 five years out Reply with quote

I live in California. For me it all went down early in the morining. What I remember of the world that existed before 9/11, it seemed we were on the verge within a few years of creating a new and better world. Now that we must concentrate so much effort on eradicating terror, a noble goal I will grant, other evils such as disease and hunger now continue unchecked. I am very much afraid on one level that a now gestating humanitarian / medical crisis will come around to bite us in the bum while we can least afford it. I will take the sadness of 9/11 many years hence to my grave.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jadeflower82
Good Enough
Good Enough

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in central time, an hour behind the time zone where 9/11 events originated. I was still pretty much asleep when it happened.

Anyone watch the specials in comemmoration?

I watched the one they did on Dateline on NBC. I heard there was a lot of controversy with what ABC/Disney aired with a lot of fabrications claimed to be fact. Informed of it ahead, I took many liberties in the decision to watch it, and enjoyed the touching stories of truth and real heroism on NBC instead.

When networks decide to air propaganda that's very obvious, and they refuse to change it and instead back it up, you know that they're probably not the best network to get accurate news from of that sort. Kinda sad what this world has led to Triste
~Mara

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
---Martin Luther King, Jr.
bearbear
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened here after lunch time. I do feel that the 'war on terror' will never be solved, which is sad because everyone is spending so much money on it. And a fight such as AIDS or famine which could be solved is pushed back. If they put as much effort in to fight death due to more-or-less natural means, the world would probably be a better place.

Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget it, it's POLITICS! Unless we start a revolution, we're never going to get anywhere.

Recovering n00b. Seriously, what was I on in 2006-8?
Rebekah 10
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at school when it happened cause I lived on the eastern time zone. Honestly I didn't take it seriously I thought it was one of those everyday things. The principal came into the class and told whathappened I was like "so?" I was 13 and thought it was an everyday thing till I got home and saw how big it was.
idoodley0181
Unchained
Unchained

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy_baby wrote:
Forget it, it's POLITICS!

It's not the politics i think about, it's all the innocent people who were affected such as those who died and their families. When I comes to politics I try to keep away from it and avoid discussing it, because that's one way to get an argument started as well as a few other debateable topics. But unfortunately politics effects us all, whether it's just local or national and in literally everything. But that's another story I really don't want to get involved in.

I vaguely remember I think I'd just finished after working that morning and walking through the door and my mum was talking on the phone to my aunty (my mum's sister). My aunty phoned to tell us what had happened, I think that was after the first plane and it had just come on the news. She phoned because she knows that some of my dad's family live in Manhatten and she was sort of worried that one or two might've been involved. Thankfully none of my family were involved, but they very likely knew at least one person because my uncle couldn't bare to go near Ground Zero. My dad went to New york not long after 9/11 just to visit his family and he went to the area. He said that although no one he knew had been effected, it was still a very emotional experience for him. I had a couple of bad dreams and was also quite nervous about fires and if I heard a helicopter or plane. I was also worried when I went to California and the flying.

It seems strange that I had been to New York and passed the World Trade Centre and stood there looking in awe at the height earlier that year. We couldn't go inside because I think they were shut at the time to tourists. 9/11 was just hard to take in even though I'd only been there once.

The board waffler!!
Don't take me too seriously Clin d'oeil
Mike2000
On Fire
On Fire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that most people were pretty much in shock - yes, you see things like that on movies, but never happening live on the TV. I saw the news while getting dressed for work - when we turned on the TV the first tower had already been hit and was smoking. I remember we saw the news for a while, then we watched in shock as the second airliner struck the other tower.

The news were everywhere in my way to the office: on the radio, the TV, and of course the Internet. Printed papers are made at 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning, so they didn't carry the news on the covers - yet. I remember there were several special editions that day, mostly dedicated to the attacks.

I was in the office when the towers collapsed. We have a couple of TVs there - part of our job is to track the newscasts both on radio, TV and Internet. It was shocking; the skyline changed in seconds before our eyes!

Next came chaos. First, international flights were cancelled, and national flighs were delayed enormously. Intense emergency security measures were implemented everywhere: the airport, of course, but also the bus stations, on the streets, around embassies, in front of government offices... markets shifted and collapsed, as the NY stock exchange suspended activities, as did many others around the world. And then we heard the shocking news, that there were other hijacked airliners, one of them actually hitting the Pentagon, another one downed when it apparently headed for the White House, and all the events we know so well.

A friend of mine was getting married in those days, and he and his wife were planning to have a cruise for their honeymoon. Well, they had to change their plans because both the cruise and the flights were cancelled (they would have departed from Miami)

There's no doubt the attacks changed the world forever, and not precisely for the best. It is becoming commonplace to live in fear, to know that there are people out there willing to destroy everythign we as civilized world have created, in the name of personal interests. That's one of the bad sides of today's globalized world; there's no such a thing as a remote country anymore. Isolation is a thing of the past. What happens in one country affects everyone in the world, for better or for worse.

To me it is important to make it very clear that the attacks were not only a threat to the U.S. They were a menace to all the western world; they were a message that says, "watch out, you infidels! We are here to make you live by our rules and worship by our rules and die by our rules". It is not a matter of politics - as a matter of fact, it was the very thought that "they had to start a revolution" that inspired the terrorists to attack their biggest enemy of all... and by extension, to attack everyone on the Earth that does not live like they do.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. My prayers go for the victims and their families, but also for the brave men and women of every nationality who are fighting gallantly against this scourge, wether on the frontlines or in their own particular trenches. My thankfulness, my admiration, and my truest and deepest respect for each and all of them.

But it's also our job as citizens to help win this war on terror. It's up to each and everyone of us in the free world to wage this battle by NOT letting terrorists to succeed. We must carry on with our lives, we must continue creating and working for a new, better world, and above all we must not stop figthing and defending our rights to choose freely the way we live our lives. If we as humans let a small group of fanatic zealots take away our basic human rights, then we might as well go back to the dark ages and anhilitate each other.
tommy_baby
Eruption
Eruption

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bringing up politics.

They went as far in Australia as to cancel little kids programming when it happened. Not that I was watching it.

It's hard to believe how people have become crueler and crueler through the years.

-2001: 9/11.
-2002: Iraq War.
-2003: International places become targeted.
-2004: Various attempts made.
-2005: London Bombings.
-2006: Further attempts in London.

Recovering n00b. Seriously, what was I on in 2006-8?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDisk Reloaded Forum Index -> The Outside World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: